THE south side of Greenstreet is in Lynsted Parish. From Greenstreet to the boundaries of the subsidiary Manors of Bedmangore and Sewards the land seems to have in early days consisted of farms and smallholdings, held by their occupants as freeholds by quit rents to Teynham Manor and subject, according to old wills, to the customs of gavelkind.
In Greenstreet, going from east to west, were Sherebanks (later Walnut Tree), New House Farm, Wastells (Wanstells) and Claxfield (owned by the Greenstreet family).
Between Greenstreet and Lynsted Village were Weston (probably Malt House) and Cambray (Cambridge), the small hamlet of Bogle or Beaugill, with Bompette (Bumpit) and Tickham or Tykeham lying to the east. As one might expect, the owners seem to have intermarried, acted as executors, etc., for one another. In the 14th and 15th centuries there were Cambrays, Cotyngs, Bogylls, Byxes, Green-streets, Wastells, and in the 16th century Peter Motte at Beaugill and Bumpette, Weyman in Cellar Hill, the Downes at Som'tye and Bogle, a branch of the yeoman Ropers in Cellar Hill, and still Greenstreets at Claxfield.
Erriott Wood, another portion of Lynsted held direct from the Lord of the Manors, seems at first to have been demesne land, as the "faggotts" at Eryette are included in the Reeve's account. It was later divided into smallholdings.
After the Archbishop gave up the Manor these smallholdings by degrees became absorbed in larger estates. The Dru Drurys and Hugessens bought Bogle. Part of Cambridge and much of that portion of the parish were bought in Commonwealth times by Henry Eve, "the farming parson".
The Lords Teynham bought up many outlying portions. Absentee landlords bought good land as a speculation, till by the 1740 Roll the smallholdings were very few.
The Greenstreet family moved further east, and their house became a farm dwelling. The Cotings, Bixes and Beaugills disappeared, and the Weston property was divided up.
Lynsted Parish seems to have been well populated as early as the 14th century ; therefore must have been well cultivated, though it was possibly cleared and settled at a later date than Teynham. In the Subsidy Roll for 1327 there are thirty-two names in the Boroughs of Bompette and Bedmangore.
Ague was prevalent in and near Greenstreet, but not further south.
Ireland, writing in 1829, gives the population of Lynsted as 890, and Baxter gives it in 1801 as 796 and in 1841 as 1,050, far larger than Tenham at that date.
The present population is 1,036 persons. The inhabitants are almost entirely engaged in agriculture.
There does not appear to have been a Church in Lynsted before the Conquest, as it is not included in the list of Churches under Teynham in Domesday Monachorum. Lynsted Church is mentioned as a "Chapel of Tenham" in the Archbishop's Black Book, and was given, as well as Teynham, Doddington and Iwade, to his brother, the Archdeacon Simon Langton, in 1229 by Archbishop Stephen Langton. It is dedicated to S. Peter and S. Paul.
Mr. Aymer Vallance, whose home was at Aymers near the Church, in a lecture on Lynsted Church said the earliest part of the Church is the wall under the Tower, which may be as early as 1180, and that the Tower, which dates from the 13th century, stood outside the Church until the latter was lengthened to include it. He stated that most of the main building is 14th century, and the West Window is a good example of that period. The South Aisle and pillars are 15th century.
In the north wall is a narrow staircase which led originally to the Rood Loft, and the Chancel Arch shows signs of having been filled in with wood behind the Rood.
Mr. Vallance also stated the Church had oak fittings and seats till about 1840, when these were removed and replaced by grained pews of the old box type.
The South Chapel appears to have been the Lady Chapel and was connected with Bedmangore Estate, for William Apulderfeld left instructions in his will that his wife Mildred should "shingle the Chapel of our Lady". This Chapel passed into the hands of the Roper family when they inherited this estate. There are fine tombs to the Roper family in this Chapel, one of which is by Epiphanius Evesham. The bas relief at the base is especially beautiful and his name is carved on it. A full account of these tombs can be found in Archaeologia Cantiana, Vol. XLIV, p. 153.
The North Chapel was probably connected with Sewards Manor and the Finch family. It contains a tablet to the last of the Finches (Catherine), who married Sir Dru Drury, and tablets to James Hugessen, who bought the Finch-Drury estates, and many of his descendants. An account of these tombs can also be found in Archaeologia Cantiana, Vol. XLIV.
There is a fine South Porch with a circular scratch dial on the west jamb, and traces of a smaller dial, heart-shaped, below.
The gates of the South Porch were given by Mr. Aymer Vallance in 1912 and were made from an old window grating from the Church of Milton-next-Gravesend.
The weather vane is in the form of a boar's head, so possibly was given by one of the Hugessen family (see Hugessen Arms).
The South Door is very solid, with fine iron hinges and escutcheons and a small head above the door rings.
In 1481 William "Vynch" gave 13/4d towards" the making of one arch now building in the Church ". Possibly this was one of the South Aisle arches. (Archaeologia Cantiana, Extra Vol., p. 195.)
There were lights to "Our Lady next the Font", S. Anthony, S. Christopher, S. Erasmus, S. James, S. John, S. John the Baptist, S. Katherine, S. Nicholas, S. Peter and S. Sonday (this was the popular name for S. Dominic, the founder of the Preaching Friars).
We learn from Lynsted wills of various legacies to these lights and valuable gifts to the Church.
William Cotyng in 1534 gave four nobles (26/8) "to buy 3 Candlesticks, one of 5 branches to hang before the Rood and two others of four branches, one afore the Trinity and the other afore S. Anthony".
Wm. Toft, Vicar in 1509, left 40/- "to the gilding of Mary, John and the Crucifix"; 40/- to "the Ceiling behind the Rood in the Rood loft with weyncote".
Sir John Walker, of Lydd, in 1509 left "my four books of the Bible to the Church of Lynsted".
Richard Selhnere in 1517 left orders to "make an image of S. Sonday and 30/- to buy 3 Candlesticks of Laton, one before S. Peter with 9 branches, another before Our Lady in the Chapel with 5 branches, and the third before the image of S. Sonday with 5 branches ; and 9 Altar Cloths, to every Altar 3 Cloths".
Lynsted parishioners would be glad if these valuable gifts still remained in their Church, but they were probably taken away at the Reformation.
Various gifts are mentioned to the bells:
Elena Bix in 1473, 20/- to the buying of a Bell for the Church.
Joan Stebill, 1497, to the Great Bell 20d.
Richard Selhnere, 1517. 20/- to the Bell frames.
The Church Bells are as follows :-
1. John Wilnar made me, 1639.1
2. Robertus Mot me fecit, 1597.2
3. John Wilnar 1639. 1
4. Recast by John Warner, 1884.
5. Robertus Mot me fecit, 1600.
The earlier No. 4 was also made by Robertus Mot.
Tradition says Sir Thomas More's head was taken to Lynsted by his daughter, Margaret Roper.
We can see by the Visitation Reports that, as was the case at Teynham, there was general disrepair after the changes of the Reformation in Lynsted, and no gifts are recorded.
A visitation of:-
1560 Our Chancel is at reparation in default of Mr. Archdeacon.
We have no pulpit.
1566 The place where the Altar did stand and part of the Chancel is not paved. The glass windows in the Chancel are not repaired in default of the Archdeacon. The Churchyard walls are not repaired in default of the parish.
1 John Wilnar was a bellmaker at Borden.
2 Robert Mot was the first owner of the Bell Foundry in Whitechapel, started in 1570. He was probably the son of a John Mott of East Kent who bought up discarded metal goods from churches after the Reformation. (Stahlschmidt.)
A family of Motte lived in Linstead in the late 15th and early 16th centuries, and Richard Mot was executor to the Vicar, William Tofft, who left so many gifts to the church and parishioners.
1572 The Chancel is unglazed and unpaved and that it lieth very uncomely and unreverently.
1574 That the Church walls be very much in decay in default of the Churchwardens. (The Nave pillars were much decayed and later were cemented over.)
1578 Our Chancel lyeth most unreverently. 1579 Our Chancel is unpaved and lieth open. 1681 Our Chancel is unrepaired.
The Churchwardens' accounts and receipts give various items of Church expenses in the 18th and 19th centuries. Bell ropes cost various sums from 7/6 to £1.16.
I have seen a receipt by John Austen for a sum of 9/7 for various staples and spikes and for mending the Church gate in 1766.
A long account receipted by John Shearwin in 1759 for £1.4.9½ includes "lead for the roof of the Chapelle, paint for ye Vane Post, paint for ye Church Gate and to Alterpeice".
So it seems evident, by the 18th century the Church was kept in better repair, not always the case at that time in Kent.
A good many alterations were made during the Vicariate of the Rev. John Hamilton. He put a new glass in the east window; gave a Reredos of stone which was carved after being placed in position; and put in the stone arches to the north of the Altar.
Early in this century the roof and Tower were found to be faulty and a considerable sum was collected and the Nave partly re-roofed.
In 1932 the Vicar, the Rev. L. E. A. Ehrmann, fitted up the Hugessen Chapel for daily services.
In 1932 the Choir seats, Priests' seats and Lectern were renewed in English oak, and in 1933 the old pews were removed and the main part of the Nave was re-seated with English oak seats with linen panel ends carved by Mr. Humphrey of Newnham.
On October 13th, 1935, Cosmo, Archbishop of Canterbury, dedicated the High Altar (made of old oak panelling from Lynsted Park) given by Mrs. Roper Lumley-Holland in memory of her parents, to whom a memorial tablet is placed
in the Roper Chapel.
Chalice of silver, 6 inches high, 1664, given by H. Eve, D.D., 1680. An earlier cup was purchased by the parishioners from a cess which was difficult to collect. (Visitations, 1575.)
Alms Plate of silver, 8 5/16 inches diameter, 1704, maker's mark A.R., given by Eliza Eve, widow of Henry Eve Junior, in memory of her husband.
Alms Dish, inscription (scratched) "The Gift of Mary Johnson of Linstead in Kent, Widow, 1747".
Flagon, inscribed "For the Service of the Communion Plate of the Parish Church of Lynsted in Kent, bought in 1755 persuant to a gift or request in the Will of Philip Weston late of Berkshire, Esq., deceased." Maker's mark W.G. in script letters.
Early Registers are missing. Possibly this entry from the Visitations accounts for it:-
1611 We cannot answer if we have such a book of christenings weddings and burials as in this article required.
The earliest book at the Church starts with marriages in 1653 and has the following title page:-
"Register Booke of the Parish of Linstead for baptisings, marriage and burials, beginning the yeare of our Lord God 1653. Henry Eve, Minister."
"Marriages are prohibited from
Advent Sunday till January 13th.
Septuagesima till Low Sunday.
Rogation till Trinity Sunday."
The entries of the first book are well written. It is good paper with a vellum cover and clasp.
Whether the regulations affected the number of marriages or not, there were very few in Linsted the latter half of the 17th century—four in 1691, none from 1692 to 1694, or again from 1703 to 1705.
The writing is bad from 1661 to 1683. In 1701 William Wickens, then Vicar, had a neatly made ruled book, and so did John Irons, Vicar in 1730.
There were several "Papists" buried between 1737 and 1754, and there is often an entry "travelling woman" or "stranger, name unknown". The "Swan" Inn seems to have been their resort about 1740 and onwards.
Unusual entries are :-1658 John Hakly a souldier, 1684 John Ruck, killed by a boar, 1702 James Hope, murdered.
1716 Mary, wife of the Right Honourable Lord Teynham, certified wrapt up in woollen only by Bernard Turner of S. Giles-in-the-Fields, London.
1748 Thomas Spencer, Head Gardener of Lord Teynham.
There seems to be no complete list of Churchwardens.
In the Churchyard, close against the Hugessen Chapel, is the grave of Mrs. Mary Weller, Jan. 27, 1753, aged 75, with the following inscription:-
"With ye Hugessen's she lived And from them favour she recd. And now she is dead and here she lies Hoping with them to Glory rise."
There are also headstones of Wanstalls, Greenstreets, Ropers, Barlings, Gascoynes and many others.
Attached to the Roper Chapel is the Mausoleum of that family. Many Lords Teynham with their wives and families have been buried in one or other of these buildings.
There are seven hatchments with the Arms of the Lords Teynham in the South Chapel. The North Chapel has seven hatchments with the Arms of the Hugessen family and the Chancel two hatchments of the Eve family (Henry Eve, Vicar in 1685).
1280 Robert de S. Waltone. (Hasted. From an old deed in possession of Rev. -. Fox.)
1284 Peter de Borden.
1322 John Kayser.
1327 John de Tenham.
Robert Gerard. (Resigned.)
1333 A Mandate of Enquiry was held as to institution and induction of Hugh de Grymmestone.
1349 Walter de Wynstone, Priest, by Raymond Pelligrini, Proctor for the Archdeacon, Petrus Rogerius.
1357 John Haselden. (Resigned.)
1357 Roger de Sevenoke.
Magister Robert de Notyngham. (Resigned.)
1361 (June) Roger de Apuldrefeld. (Resigned.)
1361 (Aug.) Roger de Draughton.
1361 (Dec.) Richard Newman de Dephan p.m. Robert Fleming ult Vicar (?).
1362 Walter Wynston on resignation of Roger Draughton.
1363 John Postlyng. (Resigned.)
1366 John Manger, appointed by Hugh Pelligrini, Proctor, in the absence of Petrus Rogerius.
1369 William Neweby from York Diocese on resignation of John Manger.
1369 Roger Cok, Rector of Mannington. (Exchanged with Wm. Neweby, died at Lynsted.)
1372 Robert Skynner, Presbyter.
1393 Richard Wrask.
1399 Thomas Kyng.
1400 Thomas Colne or Gerard. Changed with T. King.
1420 Hugh Gaynesborough. (Resigned.)
1423 John Sendles.
1431 Dionisius Kyrnban.
1433 Rad. Lawrence. (Resigned.)
1435 John Bromfelde. (Resigned.)
1436 Magister John Belchamp.
1437 John Seyl.
Thomas Thornton. (Resigned.)
1444 Thomas Skernyng.
John Nashe. (Died.)
1446 Henry Ffowel. (Died.)
1462 Robert Sutton.
1474 William Clerke.
Jacobi Balgeswy. (Died.)
1490 Magister Richard Spekington.
Michael Treble. (Resigned.)
1494 Magister John Hawkins. (Resigned.)
1501 William Tost.
1504 William Coste (? Hasted) or Tofft.1
1509 George Crowmer.
1511 John Wright. (Resigned without leave.)
Magister George Crowmer.
1523 John Wryght. (Died.)
1547 William Stapulford. (Patron, Elizabeth Countess of Salisbury.)
1549 John Elys, on the deprivation of William Stapulford. (Patron, Edmund Cranmer, Archdeacon.)
1552 )Letters were exchanged with reference to the Institution of John Elys, and the
1556 ) fact that William Stapulford accepted the benefice without dispensation.
1560 The Churchwardens complained the Vicar was not resident and left his benefice to a reader. (Visitations.)
1572 Eustachius Ellis.
1585 Nicholas Goldsborough. (Resigned.)
1589 Christopher Pashley. (Died.) (Also Vicar of Tenham.)
1612 Edward Hirst. (Also Vicar of Tenham.)
1618 Francis Fotherby. (Also Vicar of S. Clements, Sandwich.)
1685 Henry Eve. (The "Farming Doctor", see Teynham Church.)
1691 William Wickens. (Also Vicar of Eastling.) The inhabitants complained of him for non-residency and neglecting burying the dead.
1718 Charles Sturges.
1726 John Iron. (Buried in the Church.)
1766 Henry Shove (son of Henry Shove, Vicar of Doddington, afterwards Vicar of Great Mongeham and then Doddington).
1767 Hopkins Fox. (Also Rector of Rucking.) (Died.)
1793 Stephen Tucker. (He had been Vicar of Sheldwich 1757, Lympne 1789. He was also Vicar of Borden 1797, and resigned Lynsted in 1800.)
1800 Thomas Wilson. (Died.)
1830 William Henry Crawford. (Resigned.) 1839 John Hamilton. (Died Lynsted 1892.)
1892 Rev. T. J. Sewell. (Resigned.)
1925 Rev. S. E. L. Skelton. (Resigned.)
1927 Rev. L. E. A. Ehrmann.
Lynsted Vicarage is apparently on the same spot as the old Vicarage and appears to include an old oblong half-timber vicarage. It has been added to at various times. The Vicar's study seems to have been part of the original house. The kitchen was burnt in 1639, and the inhabitants complained it was not rebuilt.
1 William Tofft left money to each of the principal inhabitants of Lynsted and their wives, "my great Book Pars Oculi, my Bible Book, and another book” 'Destructors Visiors' " to the Vicar of Dodington, Dom John Raynold, who was one of his executors.
Below is a copy of the taxes paid by the Rev. Thomas Wilson in 1819, showing how heavy the taxes were after the Napoleonic Wars:
|Land Tax||- / 12/-|
|House and Windows||1 / 10 / 10½|
|Inhabited House||- / 4 / 6|
|Male Servants||1/ 2 /-|
|Riding Horses||- / 14 / 4½|
|Dogs||- / 7/-|
|Hair Powder Tax||- / 5 / 10½|
|4 / 16 / 7½|
Wallenberg derives the name from gebedman=worshipper or priest, and gara=a triangular piece of land.
This Manor became later of importance as the residence of Sir John Roper, created Lord of the Manor of Tenham by James I in 1616.
The old Manor House stood in the wood still called Bedmangore, at the east end of the old avenue to the present house. The late Colonel Tyler said the site of the house was marked by two horse chestnut trees in the centre of the wood.
Harris and Hasted say this Manor belonged to the Cheneys of Patrickbourne, and William de Cheney, who married Margaret, daughter and heir of Sir Robert de Shurland of Sheppey, died possessed of it in Edward III's reign. His son, Sir Robert, sold it to William de Apuldefeld who kept his shrievalty there in 1354 and several other years and was also Knight of the Shire in 1361. He was a member of the Cudham branch of this ancient Kentish family. An earlier Apuldefeld fought at Acre with Richard I, and was given an augmentation to his Arms; he bore "Sable, a cross or, voided of the field" instead of the original Apuldrefeld Arms "Ermine a vers vaire or and gules". (Hasted.). These augmented arms are in Lenham Church, and were also in each window of Challock Church which the family enriched; and the cross is clearly to be seen in the Roper Chapel at Lynsted, S. Dunstan's Canterbury, and the Elizabethan ceiling in the Arms Room at Lynsted Park.
Bedmangore remained with the Apuldrefeld family till Henry VII's reign, when the only daughter and heiress, Elizabeth, married Sir John Fineux, Lord Chief Justice of the Courts of Henry VII and Henry VIII. They had two daughters, the elder of whom, Jane, married John Roper of Eltham and Canterbury and carried this Manor with her. He was Attorney-General and Prothonotary of the King's Bench in Henry VIII's reign.
This family of Roper was a very ancient one and was connected with Kent as early as the 13th century.1 (Hasted, Vol. I, p. 58.)
1 In 1377 "John Ropere " of Canterbury lent £40 to " furnish a fleet " against the French.
John Roper of Swalecliffe and S. Dunstan's, Canterbury, who died in 1488, married Marjorie, daughter of John Tattersall of Well Hall, Eltham; it was through this marriage that the Ropers inherited Well Hall, Eltham. Their son John was the husband of Jane Fineux mentioned above.
John and Jane Roper's second son, Christopher, succeeded to the Manor of Bedmangore and lived there. His son John Roper was knighted by Queen Elizabeth on February 26th, 1587, possibly because he had contributed £50 (then a large sum) to the fund for the defence of England against the Spanish Armada. (Streatfield MSS., Brit. Mus.)
This Sir John Roper was made Baron Teynham and Lord of the whole Manor in 1616 by James I "because he was the first man of note to proclaim the King in the County" (Hasted).
The Manor is still held by one of his descendants, Mrs. Roper-Lumley-Holland, who traces from the 8th Lord Teynham.
The present Lord Teynham is the 18th Baron and succeeded his father, the 17th Baron. A list of his predecessors will be found in Debretts Peerage.
The old Bedmangore Manor House was not large enough, so Christopher Roper in 1599 built a fine new Manor House in the Park which he enclosed. He called it "Logge" (Lodge), and the part which still remains is the residence of the Lady of the Manor.
The original "Logge" was of four storeys and shaped like the letter E. The present house consists of two storeys of the centre of the old house.
It is recorded that John Roper, 3rd Lord Teynham, was "Lord of 20 Manors in Kent with other considerable estates". The 5th Baron, in the time of Charles II, was Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum of the County of Kent.
To the Elizabethan Manor House at Lynsted considerable additions were made in the reign of Queen Anne by Henry Roper, 8th Lord Teynham, where he and his wife, Anne, Baroness Dacre in her own right, entertained extensively. The mansion had a hundred rooms: it was thus very expensive to keep up, and a portion, including the large wings, was pulled down between 1820 and 1830.
The 18th century Lords Teynham evidently also kept up their gardens and estate. The burial of Thomas Spencer in 1748 records that he was head gardener to Lord Teynham.
In 1765, according to the old Rate Books, the 11th Lord Teynham paid rates for the following properties in Lynsted:- Lodge, Collyers, Elmsted, Spenders, Millers Land, Bumpit, Little Croft, Ansted Land. Millers field was east of Aymers pond.
At one time the Lords Teynham also owned New. Gardens, in Teynham, Oakenfold in Doddington, Teynham Court Lodge, Oziers Farm and Conyer Farm, as well as marshland.
In 1781 two or three tons of white wine "little if any inferior to that of Lisbon were made at Lodge, there were such quantities of grapes grown that year". (Giraud.)
The 12th and 13th Barons Teynham (who were brothers, and unmarried) united in cutting off the entail to enable their two sisters and co-heiresses to succeed to the estate at Lynsted. Through them the Tyler family inherited the property.
The title then passed to a cousin, Henry Francis Roper, who became the 14th Baron and in 1787 assumed the additional name and arms of Curzon. From him descends the present (18th) Baron Teynham.
Many of the old inhabitants in the district remember Manorial luncheons when quit rents were paid in person to the two Colonels Tyler, father and son, both strikingly good looking and direct descendants of the older Ropers.
The Courts have been held and the Manor Rolls duly kept. The quit rents were still, in 1935, paid to the Steward of the Manor. The present, and last, Lady of the Manor of Bedmangore, Lodge, Newnham and Teynham united is Mrs. Roper-Lumley-Holland, a descendant of the Appuldrefield and Roper families who have owned the land nearly 600 years. Since she acquired the property at Lynsted the gardens have been greatly beautified by her mother and herself. In these, distinctive features are three particularly large old Italian cypress trees, a stone circular lily pool, and the red brick walled-in gardens contemporaneous with the house. Two groups of trees in the Park are believed to be pre-Elizabethan. Among interesting items in the house, which has a black and white Tudor porch, are an ancient archway, two fine Elizabeth plaster ceilings, some oak panelling, and the original beautifully carved oak staircase.
A long underground passage is said to have led to an opening in the north-east corner of the Park which, according to tradition, continued to Teynham Church.
In the higher portion of the Park there are traces of terraces which may possibly date from prehistoric times. Lynsted Park is also interesting as being at the south end of the valley which runs down below Teynham Church to the marshes. It is said there was once a river in this valley, and there is still, after wet seasons, a "nail-bourne" which breaks out in Nouds orchard and runs down to the stream by Oziers Farm in Teynham.
The 11th Lord Teynham bore for arms party per fess azure and or, a pale and 3 roebucks heads erased counterchanged, and had likewise the right to quarter with those of Roper the following arms:- Apeldore, St. Laurence, Tattersall, Appuldrefield, the same for service, Twite, Parke, and Hugden. (John Philipott, Somerset Herald, 1629.) For his crest - On a wreath, a lion rampant sable, holding a ducal coronet between his paws or. And for his supporters on the dexter side, a buck or ; on the sinister, a tiger reguardant, argent (Hasted).
DADMANS was the dower house of the Roper family; its early name, "Dadyman", appears in the Subsidy Roll before 1400. The property was left by Richard de Appuldrefield in the 15th century. The present house includes portions of an old half-timber house.
COLYERS Farm was possibly the "Lodge" Home Farm.
The Manor House was the one now known as Lynsted Court, a timbered house of the Tudor period lying in the orchard opposite the entrance to Aymers. It contains some old woodwork and fireplaces, and a very fine embossed Elizabethan ceiling. Hasted says the Manor belonged to the family of Seward whose heiress Elizabeth, in Henry V's reign, married John Finch, a member of the Sussex family of that name. The Manor remained in the hands of the Finch family till the 16th century, and various members of the family held estates in Norton, Faversham,
Wye, Kingsdown and Stalisfield at the same period. Like so many of the Kentish families, the direct line ended with an heiress, Catherine, who in Queen Elizabeth's reign married Sir Dru Drury, Gentleman Usher of the Privy Chamber to Queen Elizabeth. Their memorial tablet is in the North Chapel of Lynsted Church, with Drury arms quartered with Finch on the tomb.
The estate when Catherine Finch married appears, from the Manor Rolls, to have comprised Sewards and the land behind, most of Lynsted village, the Batteries, Ludgate Farm, Anchor House and the old houses in Ludgate Lane, and what was formerly the Bogle estate. Ludgate, a curious name, came possibly from Hlidgeat, a swing gate.
Sewards was not large enough for Sir Dru Drury, and he built a large red brick house opposite the Church, which he occupied. Part of the wall of the garden still exists. His son sold the estate and house to James Hugessen, "merchant adventurer" of Dover. Sir Dru Drury's son started pulling down the brick house in 1643, and tradition as quoted by the late Mr. Roper Dixon says it was moved to Bogle, but what seems likely is that the red bricks and gate posts were brought to Beaugill as the additions there were made in 1643.
James Hugessen kept his shrievalty in Lynsted, but James Hugessen's son William lived at Provender and kept his shrievalty there; but his initials with those of his two brothers John and James are over the porch at Beaugill and a faint carving of J.H. on one side of the front door and M.H. on the other makes it likely James (?) and his wife Mary lived there. It was certainly occupied by Hugessens till 1740 when one Edmund Hugessen died there. (Parish Registers.)
The North Chapel of the Church contains many Hugessen tombs and tablets beginning with James Hugessen, merchant adventurer, who died in 1637 "upwards of 80 years old".
Bogle remained in the hands of this family till Sir Edward Knatchbull, a descendant in the female line, transferred it to John Smith Barling, his election agent, to pay his election expenses.
The house of Sewards and the Manor (according to Hasted) were sold back to the Finch family (William Finch), and he sold it to Mr. John George in 1677, some of whose descendants are buried in Lynsted Church. In about 1773 it was bought by Mr. John Smith Barling, and the Barling family held most of the Manor and estate till Philip Barling's death in 1897.
The Batteries and other portions formerly Sir Dru Drury's property, had been sold by the Hugessens.
On Mr. Philip Barling's death, the estate was divided, the late Mr. George Smith of Lynsted buying the Sewards house and farm and Mr. Filmer of Greenstreet, Bogle house and farm.
Beaugill was bought in 1917 by Dr. Prideaux Selby, and Sewards house and farm were bought in 1929 by Mr. Thomas of Nouds.
There is no trace of a Manor Court held for this Manor. In the 1740 Manor Roll, Sewards Farm itself is No. 35, "messuage and 6o acres called Sewards" owned by Vincent Underdown in right of his wife Jane George.
The Hugessen property as described in the 1740 Rental Roll consisted of:-
(1) Beaugill and "a moiety of the lands formerly Sir Drew Drewrys and then belonged to William Western Hugessen".
(2) "Butteries" then in possession of John Simpson "part of the moiety of John Hugessen".
(3) "Residue of the last mentioned moiety" in possession of John Tappenden consisting of the School House (the house opposite the Cemetery) and the Smith's Forge late Tassels and now in the occupation of John Irons, clerk. ("John Irons1" tombstone is in Linsted Church centre aisle. He died in 1776, having married Elizabeth Greenstreet.)
"BUTTERIES" is now known as The Batteries. It is mentioned as Botersland in 1278, and is written as Bocheleslond or Botelesland in 14th century Subsidy Roll. Possibly butcher or butler's land. (Wallenberg.)
This farm was sold by John Hugessen to Joseph Taylor in 1711, and descended to John Simpson of Canterbury. It was bought by Mr. Robert Mercer of Rodmersham from his descendants in the last century. His son, Mr. R. M. Mercer, sold it in 1933 to Mr. Percy French, of Teynham. Mr. French has planted a great deal of fruit on land that was formerly arable land or hop garden.
Sewards Farmhouse and the old cottages are in good order, and the land has been largely planted with fruit by Mr. Thomas.
ANCHOR HOUSE, opposite Lynsted Church, is said to have been an inn built by the Finches. It contains some fine beams (battlemented) on the left of the entrance door, king posts in the roof, and a large fireplace, now filled up. The western part of the house dates from Tudor days, and was an original oblong half-timber house of the late 15th century, with corner posts, the east end being Elizabethan.
The Finches or Sir Dru Drury believed in good barns. Both at "Sewards" and the "Batteries" are fine old Kentish barns with the deep thatched roof and tiled porch characteristic of this part of Kent. It is difficult to date them, but they mostly seem connected with early Tudor families.
SUNDRIES, another 15th century house on the estate, was later known as Edwards. It is a fine old house with traces of a centre hall and screens intact.
Wallenberg connects the name with Richard Saundre mentioned in a Feet of Fines of 1365. (See page 21.)
SHEERBANKS (known later as Walnut Tree House, or The Walnuts). The old walnut tree was cut down early in this century.
A deed of the 2nd year of Henry VI (1424) (Manuscript Room, British Museum) calls this property Shrobbache. It is described as abutting on lands of Richard Greenstreet Junior, William Dene, Richard Thome, Agnes Bix and Roger Porage (Pordage). It seems to have included a house and land, and the property passed to Michael Cotyng on the death of Laurence Byx. The witnesses were Laurence Cambray, Cotyng, Richard Bogyll, John Byx and William Dene (probably of Dane's Garden, Cellar Hill).
In 1662 it was still called Sheerbank, and consisted of Sheerbanks, Sheerbanks Croft and another portion of land apparently the "orchard behind the Smith's Forge" and belonged to Simon Height.
In the 1740 Manor Roll it is still called Walnut Tree, alias Sheerbank, and belonged to one Thomas Tomkins who leased it to Edward Baker.
The "Walnuts" was built by Thomas Pembury, blacksmith, in 1825.
NEW HOUSE FARM. This farm belonged to the Pordage family (of Rodmersham) and is the boundary property mentioned in the Sheerbank deed of 1424. It is mentioned in a deed of Elizabeth's reign recording the property of Francis Pordage, then a minor and her ward. The item runs as follows:-
"A third part of one messuage called Newhouse, containing by estimation XX. acres now in the occupation of William Doane (? Downe)."
In the 1740 Roll it is described as a messuage and 120 acres and lands at Moyse Hill. It then belonged to John Smith Barling who had bought it from the heirs of Thomas Taylor who owned it in 1662. It is now the property of the heirs of the late Mr. James French who had succeeded his father there.
Lesser properties in Greenstreet were:-
THE FORGE, which dates back at least to 1636. (Manor Rolls.) It was held by John Marshall in 1740 and was leased in 1846 by William Lake to Mr. Thomas King for 10 years at £19 a year (old deed). It is still used as a forge and till lately was in the possession of Mr. Peene. Two cottages were built there by Thomas Pembury, blacksmith, in 1825.
"THE DOVER CASTLE" belonged to the Lord of the Manor and was the old coaching inn. It was built "by said Lord on waste land", and was sold to Samuel Shepherd (of Faversham) in 1752. When I remember it first, the stables had large numbered stalls for the posthorses and there was a good drawing room and dining-room, with Chippendale chairs and sideboard still in them for the visitors. It is still labelled "Half-way House from Rochester to Canterbury".
"THE GEORGE INN" was certainly existing in 1679, as quit rent was paid for it. In 1740 it was owned by William Terry.
MUSSONS, now Mr. Wilkins's butcher's shop and house, is mentioned in a Manor Roll of 1649.
"THE SWAN" is mentioned as "The White Swan", formerly a brewhouse, and comes into the Roll of 1671.
Beyond "Wastalls" lies the saddler's shop in possession of Mr. Kemp. His father and grandfather were saddlers there, and before that the Kemps had "The George Inn" and had a saddler's shop in a lean-to recently taken down. This shop was started partly to repair the coach harness, etc. Mr. Kemp believes it was a relative of his who farmed New Gardens, which was held by a Kemp in 1846. (Baxter.)
Mr. Kemp believes his family came from Ospringe, and a former Governor of Canada named Kemp is said to be of the same family. He tells me the Fair was held annually in Greenstreet until about fifty years ago, on May 1st. Before his time it was for horses, cattle, sheep and all sorts of goods, and was held in a meadow by Mr. Wilkins's shop before "Wilkins's Cottages" were built, and used to last a week. A large cart used to draw up before the "Dover Castle", whence treacle rolls, the great specialty of the Fair, were sold.
CLAXFIELD. This farm is at the western edge of Lynsted, near the London Road. In the 1327 Subsidy Roll various persons known as "de Claxfield" paid subsidies, but it is mentioned in a 15th century Manor Roll as Claxfeldestane. In the 14th and succeeding centuries it was the possession and home of the Greenstreet family, whose name, spelt Grensted, Grynsted, Grenstede, Grensteyde, is to be found all over Kent, though as the name meant "the green farm" possibly they were not all related. It is difficult to determine if the name of the family or the name of the "street" came first, as apparently the old name was Kay Street or Clay Street.
A John de Grenestrete was Prior of Rochester in 1314, and he appears to have had brothers Richard de Grenestrete of Bromleye and Robertus de Grenestrete of Tenham Hundred, who are mentioned in a deed of 1328.
The names of Thomas de Grenestrete and Roberto de Grenestrete appear in a Subsidy Roll of 1339, paying VIIId. and IIId. respectively.
John Grenstrete Senior and Roger Grenstrete appeared before the Manor Court about a debt from Robert at Hatche in 1389. A John Grenstrete was Manor Reeve in 1467.
This was possibly the John Grenestrete of Claxfield who died in 1494, leaving property in Lynsted and Eastling. His grandson John bought Plumford and Painters Forstall in Ospringe about 1566, and his son Peter inherited Huntingfield as well as some of the Lynsted property. The family held Claxfield until 1674 when James Greenstreet sold it to Christopher Clarke of Frognal.
They bore for arms Barruly of 8 pieces argent and azure on a canton of the 2nd an eagle displayed with 2 necks or.
There was a Simon Greenstreet of Teynham Hundred, a "suspect" under the Commonwealth, probably father or brother of the James who was borsholder in 1657 and 1658 and sold the property.
Laurence Greenstreet was Churchwarden for Teynham in 1609, and John Greenstreet in 1622 and 1623.
The Greenstreets owned property from Claxfield to Selling and remained an important family, though they died out in their original home. Hasted says several of the family are buried in the middle aisle of Lynsted Church. There is a tomb in the Churchyard to "Henry Greenstreet died 1752, aged 18", and another "Henry Greenstreet died 1742".
There is still standing at Claxfield a fine old half-timber farmhouse, certainly dating from the late 15th century, which appears to be on earlier foundations.
In 1740 the farm belonged to George Smith, and in 1846 it was the property of George Wildash. It now belongs to Mr. Potter Oyler.
FARMS AND HAMLETS IN LYNSTED PARISH
CAMBRIDGE FARM was formerly Cambrays or Kaumbrey. Wallenberg connects the name with the Cromer family of Milton. It is described as a messuage and 37 acres of land in the 1740 Roll, and then belonged to Edward Hasted and was occupied by William Gore.
Part of Cambridge belonged to William Hugessen when he died in 1676, and Henry Eve appears to have possessed or bought the rest and handed it over or sold it to his son Henry Eve in the same year. It passed through the following hands:- Henry Eve sold it in 1699 to James Sanders; Thomas Greenstreet purchased it in 1702, Joseph Hasted in 1733, and it descended to Edward Hasted and his son Edward.
Joseph Hasted was chief painter to the Navy at Chatham in 1662 and amassed a fortune which he invested in land. He left Hayes Farm (Teynham), Well Farm (Lynsted), Cambridge, Danes Garden (Lynsted) and a Messuage and 5o acres at Lewson Street to his son Edward, and these descended to Edward Hasted, the Kent historian. Old Joseph Hasted died at a great age in 1732, and his widow (a few years younger) was most indignant because estates were left to her "as long as she continued his widow". (Archaeologia Cantiana, Vol. XXVI, p. 273.)
In 1782 this Edward sold it to Philip Chapman, and in 1786 the latter sold it to James Anders who left it to his wife Ann. In 1835 she sold it to William Chapman Morgan, solicitor of Faversham. In 1838 he sold it to Charles Murton, and it was bought later by the late Mr. William Roper Dixon: he lived there and farmed the land till his death. It is now the property of his sons.
The same quit rent, 10/4½, has been paid yearly since 1786 when Henry Eve died possessing it.
A deed in Mr. Dixon's possession refers to the property as Cambrays. The name of Cambray occurs in the Subsidy Rolls for 1339, and the earlier known name was Cambrays.
WESTONS, which is frequently mentioned in wills and Manor Rolls, must have been the property of John Weston whose will is dated 2nd April, 1482. It was probably "Malt House". "One third part of Westons" was part of the Claxfield estate. Another "third" belonged in 1740 to John Tonge and consisted of "a messuage and lands leading from Ye Hollow Tree to Linsted" in 1649. Probably the remaining "third" was the portion left to the parishioners of Lynsted. John Weston appears to have held property in the "City of London" as well as in Lynsted.
His will directed that he should be buried in the Churchyard of S. Peter and S. Paul of Linsted, and he left 3/4 to the High Altar, 4d. each to the Light of the Holy Cross, Blessed Mary and S. John the Baptist, and 6d. to S. Peter and S. Paul ; the Residue to his wife Margaret ; and appointed her Executor with Thomas Frognal; Feoffes Thos. Frognall, John Fyneux, Thomas Sennycholas (S. Nicholas), and Roger Synnycholas, of all his lands in Kent and the City of London. The bequest to the Parish runs as follows:-
"That 12 of the best men of Lynsted be enfeoffed in a tenement now called Goddys House with garden, 5 virgates of land in Lynsted and to their heirs and assigns for ever to provide my obit yearly for my soul, parents, and all faithful departed, of 4/– in the Church with 3 priests and the parish clerk, and residue of income to repair of Church. That the parishioners of Linsted occupy 1 piece of land in a certain field Chirchefeld to make a playing place on Festivals and other days for ever on condition they keep sufficient enclosure."
The residue of his property was left to his wife Margaret, with remainder to his son John, and then his sister Elizabeth. Should no heirs survive, the property was to provide a priest for Lynsted for 7 years, and then go to the male heirs of Thomas Frognall, or in default to be sold and the money be disposed to "Lynsted Church, bad roads and other works".
It is evident the property was eventually sold, but what benefit Lynsted obtained is unknown.
Hasted says the field was opposite the Vicarage and was still called "The Playstool" in his day, when it was part of the estate of Mr. Baptist Sympson, but I have been told Chirchefeld was the field opposite the Church, and another description makes it look as if it was opposite the Batteries. I can find no trace of it ever having been used for the purpose it was left for.
Possibly Malt House was his "messuage", as I cannot find it under that name in the records.
John Bix, one of a family who held land in Linsted for several centuries, occupied "Westons" about 1620. He also owned Bapchild Court and his mother was one of the Greenstreet family.
CELLAR HILL. The lane now called Cellar Hill was known in old records as Weston's or Weston's Street.
The 1740 Manor Roll gives a property known as ELLIS WAYLANDS (messuage and 9 acres) "being the third house on the left leading from Cellar Hill to Cambridge" at "Weston Street", and this property is mentioned in a 1640 Roll as "abutting the lane to Westons". It was then bought by Henry Eve of Joanna Harnett; it passed through the hands of —. Feakins (1715), and in 1765 William Colley died and it descended by gavelkind to his wife and sons. It must therefore have been an old property, and was one of the half-timber houses on the east side of the lane.
FRIENDS and SHERRY GARDENS (Cherry Gardens) are described as a messuage and 12 acres belonging to the heirs of Edward Brewer in 1740. The 1649 record gives an apple orchard as well.
WELL FARM, called the Burnt House in Manor Rolls, "whereon stood a messuage since burnt down", belonged to Edward Hasted in 1740.
NOUDS. In the Manor Rolls of 1660 and 1740 it is spelt Knowdes, and it was also spelt the same way in an indenture between Queen Elizabeth and Francis Pordage dated 41st year of Queen Elizabeth (1599). Here it is described as the "3rd part of one tenement with certain lands and tenements called Knowdes and Reasons". Three portions are mentioned in the 1740 Roll:-
(No. 8) "Heirs of John Smith" paid quit rent for "messuage called Knowds late Edwards now in occupation of Thos. Barling", his son-in-law.
(10) "Barling" paid for another messuage and landes in Linsted formerly belonging to Edwards.1
(11) Jeremy Fletcher paid for a tenement and lands called Winkers, lying near Knouds on the east side of the lane leading from the London Road to Knowde in the occupation of Thos. Barling.
There is an old house (Nouds Farm), with a fine staircase and overmantel, in the possession of Mr. John Thomas who owns and occupies it and farms there. There is also "Nouds House" in the possession and occupation of Sir Harold MacMichael, and a half-timber house in Bishop's orchard.
All these properties were part of the large Barling estate, and were sold at the death of Philip Barling. He occupied Nouds House and was huntsman to the Tickham Foxhounds till 1869. The Nouds property came into the possession of the Barling family through the marriage of Thomas Barling, an attorney in Faversham and Elizabeth Smith in 1729. She was the only child of John Smith, also an attorney in Faversham, who owned this property. This John Smith, whose tombstone is in the south aisle of Teynham Church, had bought the property in 1703 from a Peter Greenstreet, probably one of the Claxfield Greenstreets.
1 Hayward Edwards and John Edwards owned property in Lynsted and sold it in 1660.
(Wallenberg suggests from Ticcen, a young goat. Possibly a goat farm.) Another hamlet in Linsted Parish is Tickham. There are one or two old houses still in existence. It belonged to Anthony Oughton (Gent) in 1740, and was then in the occupation of James Hope. It is spoken of as formerly Hinckley's. This was James Hinckley of the old family of Hinckley or Henclif of Tenham. He lived at the Greys, Erriott Wood, and bought and then farmed Tickham in 1660, and part of Lewson Street later on. Some of his property he sold to Bartholomew May in 1658. (Manor Rolls.)
J. Hinckley was Constable for the Parish in 1666, and was then living at "Grayes". He was also Jurat of Teynham Manor Court from 1660 to 1677.
Mr. Pryce Lade in 1731 hunted his hounds and had his kennels at Tickham, from which place the name of the present pack originated. ("Faversham Farmer's Club," (Selby).)
LYNSTED LANE. The Stocks. These were placed in the orchard, on the east, in Lynsted Lane. There is still an old gate with some rough steps leading up to the place where they stood. They were still in place fifty years ago.
There were also stocks in Conyer. Possibly these were the stocks paid for by Teynham Parish in 1763.1
Further south in Lynsted Lane was an old house, recently burnt down, called " Vigo ". The late Canon Scott-Robertson connected the name with Roman occupation, but I have not heard of any remains being found.
There was evidently a good deal of poverty in Lynsted at the end of the 15th and beginning of the 16th century. By a will dated August 1st, 1504, Thomas Lonyttison, a shoemaker, left 5 pairs of shoes, 2 for men, 3 for women, to the poor of Lynsted. (Archaeologia Cantiana, Vol. XLIII, p. 58.) And William Tofft, Vicar of Linsted, who died in 1509, left 20d. to 33 of the married inhabitants of Linsted and 12d. to their wives. He also left 6s. 8d. to Jeffrey's wife "my hostess" (was this Jeffrey of Jeffrey's Orchard?) and "my best russet gown to my hostess Joane Ferrow", and to "Dominie John of the Logge" 20/-, so it seems the Ropers had their private chaplain. He also left £20 for Dominie Thomas, a French Priest dwelling at Deal, "he to sing for me for three years, or some other priests".
The hamlet of Bogle is mentioned in wills long before it was the property of Sir Dru Drury or the Hugessen family, and there was also a property near called Som'tye. A John de Beaugil and Robert de Beaugil are mentioned in a Subsidy Roll of 1327.
In 1479 "John Coting of Lingsted" left a "Messuage and 18 acres of land called le Bokyll" to his wife for life and then to his son John, and this son John left his wife sole executrix in his will dated 1512.
1. For 2 pair of stocks and putting them up £3.3
For the stock irons £1.5.8
The Cotyng family were inhabitants of Tenham Hundred at least as early as 1341, when John Cotyng was associated with some of the lawless acts of those days. A John Cotyng paid quit rent in Henry VI's reign, and later Robert Cotyng appeared for him. In 1514 another John Cotyng paid quit rent, and it seems likely one of these built and owned the original half-timber house in its earliest form.
This house was originally plaster and timber, of an oblong shape with a thatched roof, but is now red Tudor brick and timber. It contains a very fine open fireplace with a large moulded beam across the arch, stated to be of early Tudor date. The ceiling beams are mostly chestnut. There is an old window in an upstairs room showing the outside wall of the original house which is also early Tudor. Four rooms and the porch were apparently added in 1643 when the Hugessens bought the property, and it seems likely the brickwork and gate posts and Tudor barn were all of that date. The eight casement windows in front of the house have their original catches and fastenings of about the same date. Unfortunately there is only a little original glass left. There are a fine Tudor front door and door-case and original knocker, and many old doors, one door, obviously an early outside door, with an early type of linen panelling the length of the door. Most of the doors are of pine, a wood much used at that time. Oak was not common in this neighbourhood. The house was a yeoman farmer's house, and remained so till about eighty years ago when it was made into four cottages. It is now a comfortable single house again. (See Sewards, page 68.)
Several other old yeoman farmers seem to have held property in or near Bogle in the 16th century, and they or their heirs were evidently bought out either by Sir Dru Drury or James Hugessen, as certainly the brick house and land round it were part of the Hugessen estate. Peter Motte, Thomas Bix and Laurence Weyman, particulars of whose wills follow, were all owners or inhabitants of this hamlet in the 15th century.
Peter Motte in 1492 left all his "tenements and lands at the Bogill and Bonypette" to his wife till Michaelmas, and then Bogill to his son William and Bonypette to Thomas.
In 1483 Thomas Bix left £3.6.8 to repair the "street between le Bogill as far as Claystreet", and lands and tenements (not named) to his wife for life. He and his wife Marion occupied " Mott's tenement ", Lynsted, which belonged to his son John Bix of Sittingbourne.
The Bix family were also early inhabitants of the Manor and Hundred. Henry, Adam, Mabilia and Robert all paid various sums from 5/8 to 13d. in the Subsidy Roll of 1327, and Adam de "Byx" Junior and Johanna de "Byx" paid 4/- and 5/- in 1349. The name is associated with houses out of the Hundred, as Bax Farm, Tong, and Bexon Manor, Bredgar. There was still a John Bix at Malt House in 1620.
In 1487 Lawrence Weyman left one acre of land in "plauso", called Som'tye, to his son John, and in 1546 William Downe left "my houses and lands in Lynsted, one house called Som'tye, the other Bookyll" to his sons Edward and Davye, after the death of his wife Marion. This property remained in the Downe family till the 17th century, when a later William Downe, dying in 1664, left it to his son Daniel, and it was inherited by his only daughter Johanna Harnett of Conyer in 1674. The date over the other old brick house at Bogle is 1675, with initials J.A.H. over the front door, so no doubt she built it. The entry in the Manor Rolls is "4 acres and a tenement at Bogle", and the 1740 Roll gives 2 tenements and 4 acres. There was another old house, perhaps Som' tye, north of this one, which was burnt down early in this century.
The Down family appear as "at Downe" in the 1329 Subsidy Roll, and also held "Roggins", an early Tenham property.
Davye Down was Beadle of the Manor in 1603, and was fined for not "executing his office"; and William Downe of 1659 was fined 10/- by the Manor Court for "destroying hares, coneys, partridges and pheasants with unlawful engines . . . as a common poacher" ; and a friend and neighbour, Henry Elliot, was fined 10/- for "harbouring him".
The house dated 1675 was bought in 1925 from Mr. E. Millen by Mr. Andrews, whose widow still occupies it.
In 1740 Thomas Hobbs paid quit rent for "20 roods of ground being part of the lord's wasteland and a cottage near Bogle Pond", and James Bettenham for 2 tenements and land at Bogle Pond late Joan Harnett.
TENACRE. An adjoining farm is Tenacre, sometimes known as Pye's Garden in the Manor Rolls. In 1489 Thomas Pye Senior left 3 acres at Tikeham (Tickham) to his son John, and a messuage and 3 acres at Tenacre to his son Thomas. The present farmhouse may include the old messuage. It was owned by John Tappenden in 1740. Tenacre now belongs to Mr. Mitchell.
This list of small yeoman tenants on good soil is extraordinarily interesting, as this portion of Lynsted has returned to the same conditions since the large Hugessen and later Barling estates were broken up.
Early spelling (1254) Bonepett ; possibly a pit of animal or human bones were found here. (Wallenberg.)
Bumpit was one of the Boroughs of Tenham Hundred, and must have been an old holding. It lies on the east side of the valley running from Lynsted Park to the Marshes. John de Bonnypette is mentioned in an early 14th century Subsidy Roll, and the name constantly occurs in the early Manor Rolls. Borsholders were appointed for this as for all other Boroughs in the Hundred.
One of the Byx family (Thomas) was Borsholder in the 5th and 6th years of Henry VIII, and probably lived there. It was then spelt Bompett.
It seems curious Bumpit (Bonnypette or Bompette) should be the Borough, and not Lynsted. Both Bedmangore and Bumpit are at the side of the valley east of Lynsted village and are within a mile of one another.
It was evidently settled and occupied in the 14th century, as there are several de Bonnypettes in the 1327 Subsidy Roll. There is still an old house (probably 16th century) in the valley, which was used as a workhouse for Lynsted in the 17th and 18th centuries.
A lane leading south from Bumpit to Lynsted Park is known as the Toll, and a wood (now in Aymers Park) as Toll Wood.
In 1705 Bumpit belonged to "Madame Hugessen", and in 1829 Ireland speaks of it as belonging to Lord Teynham.