(transcribed by N Heriz-Smith)
This subscription-based Directory is primarily focussed on Canterbury and other towns and villages with which it has communication/trade connections. While there are extensive entries for Canterbury, including a fulsome introductory description, neither Teynham nor Lynsted are listed. However, in listing “Green Street” the authors place this village entirely under Teynham! Both Faversham (see Note below) and Sittingbourne have full directory entries but no description, and yet Ospringe does - so the Society has included that description at the end of this page.
Note: For Faversham there is a defensive apology in the text: “The high antiquity and importance of the Town of Faversham requiring a description of it more lengthened than our pages will admit of (in consequence of the low price of this work), we have been compelled to exclude it; but we will give such a notice as we think it demands in a future work:- As we did not promise a description of Faversham, we trust our subscribers will feel no disappointment. ED.] - - - SITTINGBOURNE has no such apology and has no description.
GREEN-STREET [May 1838] is a village in the parish and hundred of Teynham, lathe of Scray, at a distance of thirteen miles from Canterbury. It is a small village possessing little attraction. A fair is held in the village on the 1st May. The parish church of Teynham is dedicated to St. Mary, and is built in the form of a cross, with an embattled tower. The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury, and in the patronage of the archdeacon; it was valued in the king’s books at 10l. The population of Teynham is about 600, which includes that of Green-street.
POST OFFICE. Cobb, Richard Storer, Dover Castle Inn
ASSURANCE OFFICE AGENTS. NORWICH UNION, (Fire & Life) Flood, James Thomas
GENTRY, CLERGY, AND PROFESSIONAL PERSONS.
Baldwin, Rev. Alfred, Vicar of Tong
Church, James, surgeon
Nowers, the Misses, Seminary (boarding)
Tracy, John William, surgeon
TRADES AND BUSINESSES
Bottle, William, saddler and harness maker
Boulding, Francis, butcher
Brenchley, David, blacksmith
Busby, Thomas, grocer and hatter
Clapson, Daniel, butcher
Cobb, Richard Storer, Dover Castle Inn Commercial Hotel, and Corn Exchange
Cockell, Thomas, baker
Cockell, George, glover
Cornwall, Elizabeth, George Inn
Cullen, Edward, painter, plumber, and glazier
Duncan, James, boot & shoemaker
Fairbeard, William, nurseryman and florist
Flood, William, blacksmith
Flood, George, grocer
Furrell, George, boot & shoe maker
Kemp, William, saddler and harness maker
Kimmins, James, baker
Masters, Ebenezer, grocer and linen draper
Maytom, John, bricklayer
Maytom, George, ditto
Nowers, William, chemist & druggist
Pain, James, carpenter
Payn, James, grocer & linen draper
Read, John, grocer and draper
Tattnell, Daniel, the Swan Inn
Terry, William, coach builder and wheelwright
Vallance, Mrs., carpenter, &c.
Wanstall, William, tailor
OSPRINGE Is a hamlet and parish north-west of Sheldwich, in the hundred of Faversham, lathe of Scray. It is a large parish, five miles in extent and two in breadth, and stands on the London road, at a distance of about nine miles from Canterbury and about forty-seven from London. It appears to have been once a town of considerable importance, the manor of Ospringe, alias Queen Court, having belonged to the queens of England up to Margaret, wife of Edward 1. Bishop Odo had large possessions in Ospringe, and “King John was at his manor of Ospringe in his fifteenth and seventeenth years.” A court leet and court baron are held for the manor, and at the former a constable is chosen yearly for the jurisdiction of the liberty of Ospringe. The ancient Hospital, or Maison Dieu, established by Henry III. In 1235. Is now in ruins. The parish of Ospringe is within the jurisdiction of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Ospringe. The church, which stands about a mile south of Ospringe-street, is dedicated to St.Peter and St.Paul, and consists of three aisles, a chancel, and an ancient steeple at the west end, containing four bells. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of Jesus’ College, Cambridge, and is valued in the king’s books at 10l. A fair is held in the parish on the 29th of May. The population of the parish in 1831 was 1087, with 189 inhabited houses and 2,930 acres.