(transcribed by Nigel Heriz-Smith)
The TEYNHAM HUNDRED is bounded on the north by the river Swale, on the south and east by the hundred of Faversham, and on the west by that of Milton. It contains the parishes of Doddington, Linsted, Teynham and Greenstreet. Both Kingsdown and Milsted are included in this transcription.
DODDINGTON is a parish and pleasant village, situated 5 miles S. by E. from Sittingbourne, which contains 1,888 acres of land, interspersed with coppice woods; the soil is mostly chalk, and much covered with flints. In 1841, there were 88 houses and 473 inhabitants; population in 1801, 366; in 1831, 466; gross rental £2,258 10s. 6d.
The principal landowners are Edmund Barrell Faunce, Esq., Sir John Croft, Bart., Mrs. Dering, Rev. Dr. Poore, Rev. George Moore, Mrs. Stringer, Colonel Tyler, and Mr Brockman.
The CHURCH, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is in the early English style, and consists of nave, side aisles, and two chancels, with a low pointed steeple at the west end, in which are six bells. The living is a vicarage, value in the King’s books at £6 13s. 4., in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and enjoyed by the Rev. John Radcliffe, M.A. The vicarial tithes are commuted for £202 14s., and rectorial for £347 10s. The latter are held in lease by John Barling, Esq., of the Archdeacon of Canterbury. This living has been augmented with gifts and Queen Anne’s Bounty to the amount of £400. The south or Sharsted chancel is the property of A. B. Faunce, Esq., and the north chancel belongs to John Barling, Esq. The church of Doddington was anciently esteemed a chapel of ease to the church of Teynham, and was appropriated with that church to the Archdeaconry by Archbishop Langton in 1227. It still continues appropriated to the Archdeacon, but has long been independent of church of Teynham. The vicarage is a neat building near the church. The WESLEYAN METHODISTS have a small chapel in the village.
The Manor of Teynham claims over this parish, subordinate to which is the MANOR OF SHARSTED, which, in 1080, formed part of the possessions of Odo, Bishop of Baieux; subsequently this manor gave both name and residence to a family who possessed it. Sir Simon de Sharsted died possessed of it in the 25th year of King Edward I., then holding it of the King, of the barony of Crevequer, by the service of part of a knight’s fee and suit to the court of Leeds. Richard de Sharsted, the last of this family, died in the reign of Edward III., leaving an only daughter, married to John de Bourne, in which family it remained until the reign of Charles I., when James Bourne, Esq. sold it to Abraham Delaune, the last of whom, Col. William Delaune, dying without issue, was succeeded by his nephew, Col. Gideon Thorncroft. He dying in 1742, left this property to this mother, and she devised it to her three daughters, Dorcas, Anne, and Elizabeth; the two former died unmarried, and the latter married – first, George, the twelfth Earl of Abergavenny, by whom she had no surviving issue, - and second, Alured Pincke, Esq., barrister-at-law, who eventually became possessed of this estate, as heir-in-law to his aunt’s mother, Lady Abergavenny; he married Mary, daughter of Thomas Faunce, Esq., of St. Mary’s Hall, in this county, by whom he had two sons and one daughter; they dying in his lifetime, in remainder to his nephew, Col. Edmund Faunce; whose eldest son, Edmund Barrell Faunce, Esq., a deputy lieutenant of the country of Surrey, and late a captain in the hon. East India Company’s service, now possesses the, and reside at Sharsted Court.
DOWNE COURT is a manor, about half-a-mile north-west from the church; in very early times held by the family of Doddington, and at a later period was possessed by Thomas Bentham, D.D., Bishop of Lichfield, who vested it in trustees to fulfil the purposes of his will.
CHARITIES. - The parliamentary returns of 1766 notice the following benefactions, viz., a rent charge of £2, given by the will of John Adeyein, 1660, a rent charge of 20s., vested in the Rev. F. Dodsworth, and 10s. vested in the Archdeacon of Canterbury. There is also 20s. yearly paid in respect of land belonging Mr. Dodsworth, and 10s. is reserved to the poor in the lease of the parsonage. These gifts, amounting to £5, are distributed in small sums about Christmas. Nothing is now known of a benefaction of £14 a year, given by the will of the Rev. Mr. Somerscales, for the instruction of poor children. It appears he was vicar of the parish, and died in 1737.
Barrett Joseph, shopkeeper
Bensted John, blacksmith
Chaffey John, gamekeeper
Coulter Mr. Joseph
Faunce Edmund B. Sharsted Court
Griggs James school-master & parish clerk
Hills Henry, grocer & draper
Hope Thomas Knight, tailor
Lewis Charles, shoemaker
Lewis Mary Elizabeth, dressmaker
Mauk Thomas, butcher
Maxted Thomas, builder, bricklayer, & parish clerk of Kingsdown
Norrington Henry, grocer & draper
Norrington Stanley, wheelwright
Norrington Thomas, carpenter
Palmer John Henry, victualler, Chequers Inn
Parker Henry, saddler
Payn Henry, shoemaker
Radcliffe Rev John, M.A. vicar
Rowland William, corn miller
Sellen Richard, baker
Smith Elizabeth and Fanny, ladies’ seminary
Weeks Thomas, bricklayer
Bing Thomas Churchill
Brenchley Thomas, Gritt farm
Brenchley William, Seed farm
Coulter Henry, Rt., Little Sharsted
Eagle Elizabeth, Spratt’s hill
Hills Thomas, Solomon’s Temple
Jull William, Freezeland
Mohun Charles Thomas, Homestall
Murton Major, Little Gritt
Orpin Henry, Frangbury
Pilcher William, Little road
LINSTED is a pleasant, well-built village, 3¾ miles S.E. from Sittingbourne. The parish contains 1,803 acres of land, and in 1841 here were 208 houses and 1,050 inhabitants; population in 1801, 796; in 1831, 952; gross rental, £4,725 5s. 6d. The lands below the village are very fertile, and have several hop grounds of a kindly growth interspersed among them.
The chief landowners in this parish are Colonel Tyler, John Barling, Esq., Messrs. Fairman, Rev. G.B.Moore, and Walcot Simpson, Esq., the former of whom is lord of the manor.
The CHURCH, dedicated to St.Peter and St.Paul, is a handsome fabric, consisting of nave, side aisles, and three chancels, with a steeple at the north-west corner, in which are five bells. William Apulderfield, by his will 1487, was a benefactor to this church, and directed certain reparations to be made, and among others to new shingle the chapel of Our Lady. It contains some ancient memorials and fine old brasses. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books, at £8 3s. 11½d., in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and enjoyed by the Rev. John Hamilton, M.A. Dr. Samuel Parker, Archdeacon of Canterbury in the reign of Charles II., reserved the additional pension of £10 per annum to the vicar of Linstead. The Vicarial tithes were commuted in 1839 for £247 15s., and the Rectorial for £627. Mr. John Barling is lessee, and also of the great tithes of Doddington.
GREENSTREET is a considerable village on the London road, partly in this parish and partly in that of Teynham. A fair is held here on the 1st of May. Mr. John Barling of Nouds House is one of the most extensive fruit-growers in England. The ancient residence of the Sewards is also in the occupancy of Mr. Barling, near which a battle is supposed to have been fought by the Saxons or Danes, as a large tumulus was discovered some years ago, in which was found a number of human skeletons, as well as those of horses.
POST-OFFICE, at EDWARD PILCHER’s, the Dover Castle, Green street.
Marked 1 - live in Green street – the rest in Linsted, or where specified
1 Back Stephen, schoolmaster
Baker Henry, baker
Baker Hezekiah, grocer
Baldock Frances, National School
Benton John, parish clerk
Busbridge Robert, blacksmith
Chambers Mr Bartlet Allen
Champion William, corn miller
1 Church James, surgeon
1 Cockell Sarah, baker
1 Cornwell John, butcher
1 Craydon Mrs.
Crook Rev Frederick A. Curate Kingsdown, Rose cottage
Dence John, schoolmaster
Dence Robert, baker
1 Elvy Misses Sarah Ann & Mary
Fairman Samuel, Esq
1 Flood William, blacksmith
Friar Ralph, farmer, Rose cottage
1 Furmston Mr Thomas
Hamilton Rev. John, M.A., vicar
Harris John, wheelwright
1 Hope Mrs Ann
1 Jenner Thomas Redman, grocer
1 Kemp William, saddler
1 Kimmins Elizabeth, baker
1 King Thomas, lime burner
1 Lockyer Thomas, hay dealer
Manouch John, carpenter & painter
Marshall Mr Edward
1 Maytum John, bricklayer
Moore James, bricklayer
1 Pye Mrs. Schoolmistress
1 Redman Alfred, butcher
Smith Sarah, shopkeeper
1 Snowdon Henry, surgeon
Taylor Samuel, tailor
1 Trigg James, horse & gig letter
Tyler Col. Charles Henry, Linsted Lodge
Union Flour Mill, George Ferrell, manager
1 Vallance William, carpenter
1 Wacher William, baker & horse letter
1 Wanstall William, tailor & draper
1 Watts James, brazier & tinner
Wilkins Williams, butcher
Wood George Robert, butcher
Inns and Taverns.
Black Lion Inn & Bowling Green, Thomas Matthews
1 Dover Castle Inn, Edward Pilcher
Fox & Hounds, William Peckham, Ellett Wood [sic: Erriot Wood?]
1 George, James Duncan, & shoemaker
1 Swan, Sophia Brenchley
Marked * are hop growers
Barling John & fruit grower, Nouds house
1 Barling John Vallance, Green-street cottage
* Blaxland Edward, Dadman’s house
* Blaxland John, Dadman’s house
* Eley Thomas, Loyderton [sic: Loyterton]
* Murston Charles, Butteries
1 Wanstall Thomas
Wildash George, Claffield [sic: Claxfield?]
TENHAM or TEYNHAM, is a small scattered village, 1 miles E. from Sittingbourne, which gives name to the hundred in which it stands. And also the title of baron to the Roper family. Lords Teynham, whose ancestor was created lord Teynham Baron of Teynham, by patent, July 9th, 1616, in the 14th year of King James I. The parish contains 2,570 acres of land, and in 1841 had 181 house and 845 inhabitants. Population in 1801, 421; in 1831, 753: rateable value, £3, 971. The principal landowners are the Earl of Guilford [sic] Lord Sondes, Right Hon. S.R.Lushington, James Lake, William Creed Fairman, Samuel Creed Fairman, William Gascoyne, Esqrs., Mr. William Roper, Mr. William Gilby, Rev. G. B. Moore, Rev. Mr. Williams, Mrs. Mary Elvy, and Mr. Wise. This place was formerly noted for large plantations of fruit trees, and Lambarde says that this parish, with others adjoining the great road from Rainham to Blean Wood, was in his time the great cherry garden and apple orchard of Kent. Cherries are still grown both here and at Linsted in considerable quantities. Near the London road, a little eastward from Green Street, there is a field called Sandown, in which there is a tumulus or barrow, which Dr. Plot is of opinion was thrown up by the Romans. The Archbishops had formerly a palace in this parish, the remaining vestiges of which were destroyed in 1847. A little north west from the church is a plot of ground that now goes by the name of Bishops’ garden.
The CHURCH is a handsome cruciform structure, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, with a square tower at the west end, in which is a peal of musical bells. The interior is neat, and reflects much credit upon the curate and churchwardens, who have during the years 1845-6 judiciously restored it and erected a fine-toned organ. It contains many ancient memorials and brasses; a gravestone in the south transept, has a brass with a figure habited in armour, for John Frogenhall, who died in 1444. Several of the windows are beautified with stained glass. The living is a vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £10, in the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and enjoyed by the Rev. John Radcliffe, M.A., resident officiating curate, Rev. William Dakins, M.A. The vicarial tithes, in 1840, were commuted for £239 19s. 11d., and the rectorial for £801 12s. 6d. There was a chantry in this church, which was suppressed, among other such endowments, in the reign of Henry VIII., at which time the value of it was only 18s. 8d.
GREENSTREET is a considerable village on the London road, partly in this parish and partly in that of Linsted; a fair is held here on May 1st, for cattle, &c. Vessels of 150 tons burthen come up to CONYER CREEK, 1 mile N.W. from the church. A great portion of FOWLEY ISLE, situated at the north extremity of the parish, has been gradually washed away by the tide. There is a coast-guard station 1¼ miles N.W. from the church, which consists of a detachment from Faversham.
CHARITY. – Thomas Brook, by will, 1609, gave an annuity of 40s. per annum, to be distributed to the poor of this parish about Christmas. The poor have also a yearly sum of ten shillings paid by the lessees of the parsonage.
Marked 1, reside in Greenstreet; 2, Lewson Street; the rest in Tenham or where specified.
1 Allsworth Henry, shoemaker
1 Armstrong Joseph, riding coast guard
1 Barrows Mrs Elizabeth
Beacon Sarah, victualler, Ship, Conyer
Bourne John, farmer, Frognall
1 Chesman Richard, tailor
1 Cooper William, schoolmaster
1 Cullen Edward, painter & glazier
1 Cullen Mr Richard
Dakins Rev William M.A., curate
2 Dence Lewis, shopkeeper
1 Divers William Henry, constable
1 Fairbeard William, nursery & seedsman
1 Ferrell George, shoe maker & ironmonger
1 Flood James Thomas, registrar of births & deaths, and agent to the Norwich Fire and Life Office
1 Flood John, bricklayer
1 George Frederick, tailor
1 Gillaspy John, baker
2 Green William, shoemaker
1 Honey Harriet, dressmaker
2 Honeyball Frederick, victualler, Plough Inn
Hunt Stephen, carpenter
1 Kemp Henry, shoemaker
Kent Joseph, farmer, New gardens
2 Kingsworth James, baker
1 Knowler Henry D, farrier
Lake James Esq. Newlands
1 Moss Richard, beerhouse & wheelwright
2 Nicholls Edward, blacksmith
1 Nicholls Sarah, seminary
1 Nowers Anne, ladies seminary
1 Nowers Mrs Elizabeth
1 Nowers William, druggist & soda water manufacturer
1 Payn James & Son, grocers & drapers
1 Payn James, cabinet maker
1 Post Jesse, shopkeeper
1 Punnett William, watchmaker
1 Read John, grocer and draper
Roper William, farmer, Lower Teynham
Silver Henry, blacksmith
Stiles Mr. William
1 Terry William, coach builder, wheelwright, and blacksmith
KINGSDOWN is a small scattered village, 3¾ miles S. b E. from Sittingingbourne, which in 1841, contained 17 houses and 104 inhabitants: population in 1801, 60; in 1831, 94. The parish contains 700 acres of land, of which a considerable extent are in woods; the soil is mostly poor, chalky, and much covered with flints: gross estimated value, £1,195 3s. The Right Hon. Thomas Pemberton Leigh, the Earl of Aylesford, Capt. C.B. Faunce, and Col. Tyler, are the principal land-owners.
The CHURCH, a small fabric, dedicated to St.Catherine, consists of nave and chancel, with a turret and one bell. There is a tomb of Bethersden marble in the chancel, with a brass plate against the wall, dated 1555, erected to the memory of Thomas Finch, though buried at Chichester. His son, a great benefactor to this church, was buried near it in 1591. The living is a rectory valued in the King’s books at £5 9s. 2d. in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. T. Pennington. The tithe is commuted for £260. There is a small Free School, supported by the Right Hon. T. P. Leigh, which stands between the limits of Linsted parish.
The principal residents in this parish are Gerorge Reeves, grocer, farmer and hop grower, Hole-street; Felix Strouts, farmer, Court; and Frances Clinch, schoolmistress.
MILSTEAD is a small pleasant village, 3 miles S. b. W. From Sittingbourne, which in 1841, had a population of 229 souls, and 37 houses: population in 1801, 189; in 1831, 214. The parish contains 1,273 acres of land, the soil of which in the southern parts is mostly a chalky red earth, much covered with flints; in the centre and northern part it is more fertile: gross estimated rental, £1,914. Sir John Tylden, Knt. Is the principal landowner and lord of the manor of Milstead. E.L.Lushington, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of Great Higham.
The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary and the Holy Cross, consists of a nave and two chancels, with a low square tower at the west end, in which are three bells. The north chancel belongs the Tylden family, in which many of them lie buried. There was formerly a south chancel belonging to Higham Court, which was pulled down in 1672. The living is a rectory valued in the King’s books at £8 15s. in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Hilton, who resides at the rectory, a good residence near the church. The tithes are commuted to £275 10s. 10d. THE MANOR OF MILTON claims paramount over this parish, subordinate to which is THE MANOR OF MILSTEAD, which in the reign of Edward I. was held by Thomas Abelyn, and after several intermediate owners came to the family Tylden in the reign of Charles I., and is now held by Sir John M. Tylden, Knt., who resides at the Manor house, a commodious mansion near the church. Higham Court, now usually called GREAT HIGHAM, is a manor 1 mile E. from the church, and is now the property of Edmund Law Lushington, Esq.