Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

Return to Directories Home Page


Recent Additions

- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory

Directories and Gazettes List

- 1791 Universal Directory
- 1832 to 1834 Pigot Directory
- 1838 Stapleton Directory
- 1847 Bagshaw's Directory
- 1858 Melville Directory
- 1868 National Gazetteer
- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory
- 1903 to 1904 Milton-next-Sittingbourne Union Directory
- 1908 to 1909 Gazetteer Lynsted and Greenstreet
- 1911 Kelly's Directory
- 1913 Kelly's Directory
- 1914 Kelly's Directory
- 1918 Kelly's Directory
- 1922 Kelly's Directory
- 1926 Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory

 

 

Kelly's Directory - 1891 - Lynsted & Teynham

Lynsted in 1891

LYNSTED (or LYNSTEAD or LINSTED) is a parish and large village in the Eastern division of the county, Faversham union and county court district, Teynham hundred, lathe of Scray, rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury, 3 miles south-east from Sitting-bourne, a mile and a half south-west from Teynham railway station. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a structure of flint in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles and consists of chancel, with two chapels, one belonging to the Teynham and the other to the Hugessen family, nave, aisles and a tower, west of the north aisle, with a belfry story and spire: the nave and aisle; are lofty and wide: the south arcade has three arches on tall octagonal pillars ; on the north side the tower occupies the west bay, with arches opening both to nave and aisle, the remaining portion eastward has two arches, also on octagonal pillars: the chancel is divided from the north chapel by two arches on a square pier and is enclosed on this side by a stone screen and on the other by a screen of wood, beneath two arches springing from an octagonal pillar; the projection of the rood loft stair is seen on the north; the chapels contain several handsome monu-ments dated 1618 and 1622, to the family of Teynham and others, dated 1634 and 1646, to that of Hugessen; there is also a beautiful monument to Dame Catherine, wife of Sir Drew Drurye knt. usher to the privy chamber to Queen Elizabeth, 1601 and several brasses, as well as a memorial to Sir Edward Knatchbull, 1849, who inherited the Hugessen property: in the south chapel are various sumptuous monuments of the Ropers and an oblong piscine; the east window is very large and was filled with stained glass by the vicar, as a memorial to his daughter: there is also a memorial window, erected by Colonel Tyler, a descendant of the Teynham family. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1693; marriages and burials, 1654. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £300, with three acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury; tithes commuted in 1839 for £247 ins.; the Rev. John Hamilton M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford, is the vicar. Lynsted lodge, the seat of Lt.-Col. Tyler J.P.is 1 mile south-east. Lt.-Col. Tyler, Philip Barling esq. and Captain Valiance are the chief landowners. The market is discontinued. The soil is brick earth; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are fruit, hops & wheat. The area is 1,826 acres; rateable value, £6,563; in 1881 the population was 1,284.

GREEN STREET is a large village 1½ miles north of the road to Faversham, partly in this parish and partly in Teynham; DEDMAN (or Dadmans), is three quarters of a mile south. The Dover road divides the parishes.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Back.
Letters through Sittingbourne, but the nearest money order office & receiving house is at Green Street, Teynham PILLAR LETTER Box, in Lynsted Street, cleared at 6 p.m.; on sundays at 11.30 a.m

INSURANCE AGENTS :-
Kent Fire, O. G. Champion
Norwich Union Fire, J. L. Denne, Green street
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; A. Tassell, Faversham, clerk
Board School (mixed & infants), built in 1877 for 180 children; average attendance, 163; Mr. Ackermann, master; Mrs. Ackermann, mistress

CARRIERS. - Gardner & Co. pass through from London to Faversham daily, sundays excepted.

Armstrong Rev. Henry M.A [curate]
Barling Philip, Nouds
Barling The Misses, Tickham
Court Valentine, The Greys
Fergusson William Balfour M.B. Green st
Hamilton Rev. John M.A. Vicarage
Keeler Miss, Green street
Murton George Neame, Butteries
Prest William Chalk, Green street
Roper Mrs. Mount house
Ross Rev. George Henry William Lockhart B.A.[curate of Teynham],Green st
Stevens Mrs
Tyler Lt.-Colonel Charles John Roper Lynsted lodge
Valiance Capt. Thomas William, Aymers

COMMERCIAL

Aldrick Thomas, coach builder, Green st,
Austin Amos Jn. butcher & frmr.Green st
Back Thomas, builder &c
Barker Wm. greengrocer, Green street
Barling Charles, farmer, Sewards
Barnes John, shopkeeper, Green street
Blaxland Edward, farmer, Dadmans
Busbridge Robert, smith & farrier
Champion William Harrison & Son, farmers, Claxfield farm
Champion William Harrison, miller (steam & water)
Cheesman William, boot & shoe maker, Green street
Court Frederick, tailor, Green street
Dence John, carman
Dence Miss, dress maker, Lynsted lane
Denne John Lake, agent to the Norwich Union fire & life insurance, Green st
Dixon Roper, farmer, Cambridge house
Eatwell Geo. Dover Castle, Green street
Eley Thomas, farmer & hop grower, Loyterton
Everett Thos. market gardener,Green st
Fergusson William Balfour M.B.surgeon, Green street
Filmer Geo. Alfred, butcher, Green st
French James, farmer, Green street
George Stephen, jun. registrar of births & deaths for Teynham sub-district & tax collector, Green street
Goddard John, hair dresser, Green st
Hadlow Albert, baker, Green street
Hall George, Swan, Green street
Homewood George, Fox Hunters
Hinkley William John, bricklayer
Kain Robert, tailor, Green street
Keeler Emma(Miss), preparatory school, Green street
Kemp Win. shopkeeper, Green street
Kemp William J. saddler & harness maker, Green street
Killick Sarah. (Mrs.), seminry. Lynstead la
Manser James, corn dealer, Green st
Marshall George, carman, Lynsted la
Millen Albert, farmer & fruit dealer
Millen Edward Chas. hay dealer, Claxfield house
Murton George Neame, farmer & hop grower, Butteries
Rye Edward, carpenter & wood turner
Sharp John, George, Green street
Shepherd George, shopkeeper, Green street
Silver Elizabeth (Mrs.), smith & farrier, Green street
Smith George, grocer, &c. Green street
Smith George Alfred, grocer & draper, Lynsted street
Smith Henry, Black Lion, Lynsted st
Smith James, farmer & fruiterer
Swan Charles, shopkeeper, Green street
Swan Edward, shopkeeper, Green street
Terry Wm. coach builder, Green street
Thomas John, potato mer. Tickham
Trigg James, carman
Trigg William, shopkeeper, Green street
Watts James, ironmonger, & tin plate works, Green street
Watts James, jun. plumber & glazier, Green street
Wilkins William, butcher, Green street

Teynham in 1891

TEYNHAM (or TENHAM) is an ancient town and parish and station on the London, Chatham and Dover railway, 3 miles east from Sittingbourne and 4¼ west from Faversham, in the Eastern division of the county, hundred of the same name, lathe of Scray, Faversham union and county court district, Ospringe rural deanery and Canterbury arch-deaconry and diocese, on the coast of the Swale, partly in a marshy district. The parish church of St. Mary situated on rising ground, is a large cruciform building of flint in the Perpendicular and Early English styles consisting of chancel, north and south transepts, nave, aisles and an embattled tower at the west end containing a peal of 6 bells dated 1743; the nave is divided from each aisle by two wide Pointed arches, on octagonal columns; the font consists of an octagonal bowl on a circular stem; the pulpit is Jacobean: there are several ancient brasses, one of 1443; and another in the chancel to William Palmer and Elizabeth his wife, dated 1639: a stained window was put in to the memory of Miss Lake in the year 1865 and there are others: the chancel was restored in 1873. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, tithes commuted L300, with residence, in the gift of the archdeacon of Canterbury and held by the Rev. Edward James Corbould M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford. Here are extensive roman and portland cement works; brickmaking is also carried on extensively. Teynham was given to Christ Church, Canterbury, by Kenulf, King of Mercia and the Archbishops of Canterbury had a palace here. King Henry III. granted to the town a market and a fair. Richard Harris, fruiterer to Henry VIII. planted 105 acres of rich land here with cherries, pippins, and golden rennets, which he had obtained from beyond the sea ; hence all the cherry gardens and orchards in Kent have been stocked with the Flemish cherry. On account of the marshes Teynham was formerly reputed to be unhealthy, but at the present time the health of the district is very satisfactory, this improvement being accounted for by the drainage of the marshes. Colonel Tyler is lord of the manor. There are in this parish about 22 acres of land belonging to the vicarage of Bapchild and about 43 acres (Queen Anne's Bounty), to the vicarage of Oare. The Rev. George Bridges Moore, Robert Lake esq. and Miss Fairman, are the chief landowners. The area is 2,937 acres ; rateable value, £13,548; the population in 1881 was 1,767.

On the Creek is Conyer's Quay; GREAT and LITTLE FROGNAL. are 1 mile south-west; BARROW GREEN, half a mile south-west.

GREEN STREET is partly in this parish and partly in Lynsted. St. Andrew's is a chapel of ease to Teynham and the Wesleyans and Bible Christians have chapels here.
Sexton, William Bolton.
Organist, Charles Geo. Crew.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office, Green street. William James Read, postmaster. Letters by foot post from Sittingbourne arrive at 7.25 a.m. & 12.5 p.m.; dispatched at 9.50 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; on sundays at 12 noon. Money orders issued & paid from 9 a.m. to 5.30 on Saturdays until 8 p.m

PUBLIC OFFICERS :-

Medical Officer of Health for the Fourth Faversham District, George Frederick Pritchard M.D.
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Teynham Sub-District, Stephen George, jun. Green street.
National School, founded in 1849 & enlarged in 1872, for 290 children, average attendance 250, supported by a government grant, school fees & voluntary subscriptions; Barrow Green, Charles Geo. Crew, master; Mrs. Arabella Crew, mistress; infants, Miss Ann Collins, mistress.
Railway Station, Thomas Riches, station master.

Bensted Henry Thomas, Teynham Court ldg
Corbould Rev. Edward James, M.A. Vicarage
Lake Robert, Upper Newlands
Pritchard George Fredk. Green street

COMMERCIAL

Anchor Coffee Tavern. (James Frederick Honeyball, hon. sec.; James Culling, manager)
Austin Amos John, dairyman
Bensted, Henry Thomas, land agent, farmer & hop grower, Teynham Court lodge
Bird Jn. barge builder, Conyer's quay
Boulton William, farm bailiff to Win. Roper Dixon esq
Burdett Sarah (Mrs.), beer retailer, Green street
Chessman John, boot maker, Green st
Coveney Edward, carter, Green street
Croucher Stephen, grocer, Green street
Crippen William Hills, builder
Cullen William, plumber, Green street
Duncan James, shoe maker, Green st
Fairbeard Julius, nurseryman, Green st
French Henry, Brunswick Arms, Conyer's quay
French James, grocer & provision dealer, Barrow green
Frost Ebenezer, Ship, Conyer's quay
Gambell Hy. pork butcher, Lucerne st
Gambell James, baker, Green street
George Abraham, beer retailr. Green st
George Stephen, carpenter & builder, Green street
George Stephen, jun. registrar of births, & deaths for the Teynham district & collector of assessed, land & income taxes, Green street
Green Street Co-operative Society,Limited (George W. George, sec.)
Hambrook Thomas, farmer & grazier Honeyball Frederick & Son, farmers & coal merchants, New gardens Honeyball Frederick Thomas, auctioneer &c. see Nethersole & Honeyball
Jarrett Benjamin, shopkeeper, Green st
Lake Robert, farmer & hop grower, Upper Newlands
Lees Wm. chemist & druggist, Green st
Lucas Brothers, brick makers
Millichamp Henry & Co. Limited, chimney pot & drain pipe manufacturers, Frogmore brickfields
Nethersole & Honeyball, auctioneers, valuers & estate agents ; & at Deal
Payn George James, grocer & draper, Green street
Peene James, smith & farrier
Pritchard George Frederick, surgeon &-medical officer of health for the 4th Faversham district, Green street
Punnett Jane (Mrs.),watch maker Green st
Rayner Edward, Fox Inn, Green street
Read William James, grocer, & postoffice, Green street
Richardson Chas. cement & brick manfr
Rogers Frank John, grocer, Lucerne st
Rogers John, wheelwright, Lucerne st
Scott William, grocer, Green street
Sills Edwin, Railway Inn, Railway statn
Smith George, grocer, Barrow green
Stratton John Hewitt, boot ma.Green st
Temple Mary Ann (Mrs.), Plough, Lucerne street
Terry Elizabeth (Mrs.), coach builder & wheelwright, Green street
Teynham Brick Company Limited (Alfred Edmund Stacey, manager)
Thomas John Hy. draper, Green street
Trigg Henry, carter, Barrow green
Trigg Thos. boot maker, Green street
White Leonard, farm bailiff to H. T. Bensted esq
Wildash Fredk. Chas. & John, builders