Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

Return to Directories Home Page


Recent Additions

- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory

Directories and Gazettes List

- 1791 Universal Directory
- 1832 to 1834 Pigot Directory
- 1838 Stapleton Directory
- 1847 Bagshaw's Directory
- 1858 Melville Directory
- 1868 National Gazetteer
- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory
- 1903 to 1904 Milton-next-Sittingbourne Union Directory
- 1908 to 1909 Gazetteer Lynsted and Greenstreet
- 1911 Kelly's Directory
- 1913 Kelly's Directory
- 1914 Kelly's Directory
- 1918 Kelly's Directory
- 1922 Kelly's Directory
- 1926 Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory

 

 

Kellys Directory - 1911

Includes only Teynham & Greenstreet

TEYNHAM (or Tenham) is an ancient town and parish, on the coast of the Swale, partly in a marshy district, with a station, a quarter of a mile south from the village, on the South Eastern and Chatham railway and is 3 miles east from Sittingbourne, 4½ west from Faversham and 48 from London, in the North Eastern division of the county, hundred of the same name, lather of Scray, Faversham petty sessional division, union and country court district, and in the rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury. This place gives the title of baron to the Roper-Curzon family. The parish church of St. Mary is of flint, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower containing 6 bells; there are several brasses and a number of stained windows; the chancel was restored in 1873 and there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £165, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1908 by the Rev. Clifford Berbey hall M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cabridge. Brick making is carried on extensively. Teynham was given to Christ Church, Canterbury, by Kenulf, King of Mercia (794 – 819), and the Archbishops of Canterbury had a palace here in or before 1184, which was successively occupied by Archpishops Baldwin (1184 – 91), Hubert Walter (1193 – 1207), Langton (1207 – 29, and Raynold (1313 – 28), and in 1345 Edward III. was entertained here by Archbishop Stratford. King Henry VIII. granted to the town a market and a fair. Richard Harris, fruiterer to Henry VIII. planted 105 acres of rich land here with cherries, pippins and golden rennets, which he had obtained from beyond the sea; hence all the cherry gardens and orchards in Kent have been stocked with the Flemish cherry. On account of the marshes Teynham was formerly reputed to be unhealthy, but at the present time the health of the district is very satisfactory, this improvement being accounted for by the drainage of the marshes. Upper Newlands is the residence of Robert Lake esq. Lieut.-Col. Charles John Roper Tyler, of Lynsted, is lord of the manor. There are in this parish about 43 acres of land (Queen Anne’s Bounty) belonging to the vicarage of Oare. Robert Lake esq. and Robert Mercer esq. of Rodmersham, are the chief landowners. The area is 2,472 acres of land, 1 of inland and 114 of tidal water and 279 of foreshore; rateable value, £11, 578; the population in 1901 was 1,839.

On the Creek is Conyer’s Quay; Great and Little Frognal are 1 mile south-west; Barrow Green, half a mile south-west.

GREENSTREET is partly in this parish and partly in Lynsted. Here is the Mission church of St.Andrew’s which has 250 sittings; there is also a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1841. For names of residents see also Lynsted.

Sexton, John Button
Clerk to the Parish Council, Robert S. Dunn. 3 Albion terrace, Faversham
Post, T & M.O. Office, Greenstreet. – Mrs. Anna Susan Read, sub-postmistress. Letters by cart from Sittingbourne arrive at 6.30 a.m. & by motorcycle at 1.15 p.m. & 7.15 p.m.; dispatched at 10.40 a.m. & 11.45 a.m.& 6.45 p.m. & 8.10 p.m.; and Sundays at 12.15 p.m. Money Orders are issued & paid from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; on Sundays open until 10 a.m. for stamps only. Teynham Railway Station telegraph office, for delivery at the station only, is open on Sundays from 9 to 10 a.m. & 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Post Office, Lucerne Street.- Mrs. Louisa Gambell sub-postmistress. Letters from Sittingbourne, via Greenstreet, which is the nearest telegraph and money order office, are delivered 7.50 a.m. & 1 p.m.; Sundays, 7.50 a.m.; dispatched, 7.45 a.m. & 5.50 p.m.; Sundays 7.45 a.m.
Wall Letter boxes.- West End, cleared at 10.20 & 11.50 a.m. & 6.55 & 8.10 p.m.; Sunday, 12.30 p.m.; Teynham Street, cleared 8.5 a.m. & 6.20 p.m.; Sunday, 8.5 a.m.; Railway station, cleared 9.20 a.m. & 6.35 p.m.; Sunday, 9.20 a.m.
Public Elementary School (mixed), Barrow Green, founded in 1849 & enlarged in 1872, 1884 & 1904, for 370 children; average attendance, 250 boys & girls; infants, 108; George Potts, master; Mrs. A.E. Potts, mistress; Miss Louisa Pound, infants’ mistress.
Railway Station, Charles Matthews, station master

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bensted, Henry Thomas
Hall Rev., Clifford Berney M.A. (vicar),Vicarage
Honeyball Col., James F., Newgardens
Lake, Robert, Upper Newlands
Selby, Prideaux George, Bruson house, Greesntreet

COMMERCIAL

Austin, George, farmer
Bensted, Henry Thomas, farmer, Teynham Court lodge
Bolton, Charles Henry, smith, Greenstreet
Broad, Walter, Fox Inn, Greenstreet
Brooker, Arnold, “Plough Public House”,Lucerne Street
Burrows, H., farm bailiff to Robert Mercer esq
Button, Silvanis, shopkeeper, Conyer’s Quay
Chantler, Edmund, coach builder,Greenstreet
Coldwell & Co., chemists, Greenstreet
Crippen, W.H., builder, Greenstreet
Dixon, William R., farmer
Eastwood & Co. Ltd.,brickmakers
Franklin, Thomas, insurance agent, London Road
French, W. & Sons, grocers, Barrow Green
French, Charles, farmer
French, Henry, “Brunwick Arms Public House”, Conyer’s Quay
Gambell, Charles,shopkeeper, Lucerne street
Gambell, Henry, pork butcher, Lucerne street
Gambell, James, baker, Greenstreet
George, Stephen & George, builders, Greenstreet
George, Stephen, registrar of births & deaths for the Teynham sub-district, Faversham union & collector of assessed land & income taxes, Greenstreet
Gladwell, James, blacksmith, Lucerne Street
Greenstreet Co-operative Society Limited, Greenstreet (William Edwards, manager)
Hales, Emma (Mrs), coffee tavern
Hawkins, Edward, beer retailer, Greenstreet
Hills, Charles, hairdresser, Greenstreet
Honeyball & Son, coal merchants; head office at Sittingbourne (See advertisement – not here)
Honeyball, James Frederick, farmer and hop grower
Hunt, William & Co., grocers, Greenstreet
Jarrett, Harriet (Mrs), corn dealer
Mercer, R. & Co., brick makers
Mushman, John Henry, beer retailer, Greenstreet
Parker, Charles, boot repairer, Greenstreet
Parris, Albert Edward, stationer
Perkess, E, Railway Inn Public House
Post, James, hair dresser, Greenstreet
Ray & Co., florists, Greenstreet
Read, Almiria (Mrs), midwife
Read & Son., grocers, & post office, Greenstreet
Rogers, Kate (Miss), pianoforte teacher
Rye, William, cycle repairer, Greenstreet
Saunders, James, farm bailiff to Col. J.F. Honeyball, Newgardens
Seagar, Ernest, shopkeeper, Barrow Green
Selby, Prideaux George, L.R.C.P.London, M.R.C.S.Eng., physician & surgeon, & medical officer of health for Faversham Rural District & public vaccinator for the 4th Faversham district, Bruson house.
Smith, Henry, timber merchant
Thomas, Franklin, insurance agent
Trice, Emma (Mrs), Ship Public House, Conyer’s Quay
Trigg, William, coach painter, Greenstreet
White & Co., barge builders, Conyer’s Quay
Whittle, Robert A., draper, Greenstreet
Wigg, William, grocer
Wildash, Henry, insurance agent
Wildash, John, bricklayer
Wilson, Alfred, farmer