Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

Return to Directories Home Page


Recent Additions

- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory

Directories and Gazettes List

- 1791 Universal Directory
- 1832 to 1834 Pigot Directory
- 1838 Stapleton Directory
- 1847 Bagshaw's Directory
- 1858 Melville Directory
- 1868 National Gazetteer
- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory
- 1903 to 1904 Milton-next-Sittingbourne Union Directory
- 1908 to 1909 Gazetteer Lynsted and Greenstreet
- 1911 Kelly's Directory
- 1913 Kelly's Directory
- 1914 Kelly's Directory
- 1918 Kelly's Directory
- 1922 Kelly's Directory
- 1926 Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory

 

 

Kellys Directory - 1918

Covers: Kingsdown - Lynsted - Greenstreet - Teynham

Kingsdown

KINGSDOWN (Near Sittingbourne) is a village and small straggling parish, 4 miles south-by-east from Sittingbourne Station on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and 7 south-west from Faversham, and in the Faversham division of the county, Milton hundred and union, lathe of Scray, Sittingbourne petty sessional division, county court district of Sittingbourne and in the rural deanery of Sittingbourne, archdeaconry of Maidstone and diocese of Canterbury. This place gave the title of baron (28th August 1858) to the Rt. Hon. Thomas Leigh-Pemberton Q.C. 1st and only Baron Kingsdown, who died unmarried 7th October 1867, when the title became extinct. The church of St Catherine is of Kentish rag, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, and was rebuilt on the old site in 1865, at the expense of the late Lord Kingsdown, from designs by E.W.Pugin esq.; it has a tower with spire containing 2 bells, and affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. the living is a rectory, net yearly value about £110, with 18 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Robert Leigh-Pemberton esq. and held since 1912 by the Rev. Cuthbert Ellidge Owtram M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford, who is also rector of Milstead. Robert Leigh-Pemberton esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and principal land-owner. The soil is rich; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are hops, fruit and wheat. The area is 705 acres; rateable value, £670; in 1911 the population was 52.
Parish Clerk, William Kennard.
Letters are delivered by foot post from Sittingbourne. Doddington is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1½ miles distant.
Wall Letter Box, in Kingsdown Street.

Owtram Rev. Cuthbert Ellidge M.A. (rector) - Rectory
Farmer, William - farmer and hop grower - Street farm.
Spicer, James - farmer.

Lynsted

LYNSTED (or Lynstead or Linsted) is a parish and large village, a mile and a half south-west from Teynham station on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and 3 south-east from Sittingbourne, in the Faversham division of the county, Teynham hundred, lathe of Scray, Faversham petty sessional division, union and county court district and in the rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is of flint in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower, with spire, containing a clock and 5 bells: there are several handsome monuments to the Teynham, Knatchbull-Hugessen and Drury families, and brasses to those of Rooper and Worley, besides a number of stained windows, including a memorial window to the Rev. John Hamilton M.A. vicar, 1839-91. The west windows were restored in 1894 at a cost of £120, and in 1905 the roof was restored at a cost of £700: there are 400 sittings, 250 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1693; marriages and burials, 1654. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £240, with 3 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Thomas Jackson Sewell M.A. of Queen’s College, Oxford. William Tyler esq. Mr. John Thomas, Mrs Vallance and Mr.George A.H. Smith are the chief landowners. The soil is brick earth; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are fruit, hops and wheat. The area is 1,827 acres; rateable value, £7,155; in 1911 the population was 1,100.
DEDMAN (Dadmans) is three-quarters of a mile south from Lynsted church.

Greenstreet

GREENSTREET is a large village, 1½ miles north, partly in this parish and partly in Teynham, and on the road from Sittingbourne to Dover, which divides the parishes. Here are a Wesleyan chapel and Salvation Army barracks.
Parish Clerk, James C.C.J. Seagars.
Clerk to the Parish Council, Thomas L. Ackermann, Council schools.
Post, M.O. & T. Office, Lynsted.- Herbert Porter, sub-postmaster. Letters through Sittingbourne.
Wall Letter Box, Herriott (sic) Wood.
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1877, for 200 children, was enlarged in 1897 to hold 317 children; average attendance 220; Thomas L. Ackermann, master; Miss Marion Kate French, mistress; infants, Miss M.E. Hunt.
Carrier.- George Shepherd passes through Greenstreet from Chatham to Faversham, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

Private Resident

Marked thus * receive their letters through Teynham, Sittingbourne.
Barling, Miss - Tickham
Court, Mrs - The Greys
* Dixon, Bridges - Mount house, Greenstreet
* Dixon, William Roper J.P. - Cambridge house
* French, James J.P. - Greenstreet
* Lees, William - The Walnuts, Greenstreet
* Macdonogh, Major-General George Mark Watson, KCMG, CB, R.E. - Nouds
Mercer, Rt. Montague - The Batteries
* Moxon, Edward James - The Grange
Sewell, Rev. Thomas Jackson M.A. - Viacarage
Smith, George Alfred Henry - Berkeley House
Vallance, Mrs. - Aymers

Commercial

* Barling, Edward Henry - fruiterer
* Broad, William H. - George PH - Greenstreet
Busbridge, Charles Robert - blacksmith
Busbridge, Frances (Miss) - shopkeeper
* Carrier, Emily (Mrs) - stationer - Greenstreet
* Carrier, Jesse - watch maker - Greenstreet
Champion, Ernest - carpenter
* Court, Frederick - tailor - Greenstreet
* Dalton, Philip - farmer
* Dixon, William Roper J.P. - farmer & hop grower - Cambridge House
* Filmer, Frank B. - butcher - Greenstreet
Fuller, Henry Robert - farmers - Colyers Farm
* Hadlow, Terry - butcher - Greenstreet
* Handcock, Edward Frank - watchmaker - Greenstreet
Kemp, Percy - farm bailiff to Major H. McDougall
* Kemp, William Ernest - saddler - Greenstreet
* Le Feaver, Charles - farmer - Tenacre farm
Mercer, Robert Montague - farmer & hop grower - The Batteries
* Millen, Edward Charles - hay & straw dealer, Greenstreet
* Morgan, George - confectioner - Greenstreet
* Nicholls, Alfred Edward - general dealer - Greenstreet
Packham, Robert Morse - Foxhunters PH
* Peene, William - shoeing smith - Greenstreet
Pilcher, Mary (Mrs) - shopkeeper - Greenstreet
* Pope, Charles Henry - shopkeeper - Greenstreet
Porter, Herbert - grocer & post office
* Ray, George (Mrs) - florist - Greenstreet
* Seager, Ralph Henry - Dover Castle PH - Greenstreet
Sherlock, Charles - farmer
Smith, Frederick & Charles - fruiterer
Smith, George Alfred Henry - farmer - Berkeley House
Smith, William - farmer
Spicer, Edwin - builder
* Stone, Henry - Swan PH - Greenstreet
Taylor, Samuel Edward - Black Lion PH
* Thomas, John - farmer - Noud’s Farm
* Thomsett, William Henry - fishmonger - Greenstreet
* Watts, Henry James - ironmonger - Greenstreet
* Wilkins, Ernest - butcher - Greenstreet
* Woodfine, John Thomas - marine store dealer - Greenstreet

Teynham

TEYNHAM (or Tenham) is an ancient town and parish, on the coast of the Swale, partly in a marshy district, with a station, a quarter of a mile north from the village, on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and is 3 miles east from Sittingbourne, 4 west from Faversham and 43 from London, in the Faversham division of the county, hundred of the same name, lathe of Scray, Faversham petty sessional division, union and country court district, and in the rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury. This place gives the title of baron to the Roper-Curzon family. The parish church of St.Mary is of flint, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower containing 6 bells; there are several brasses and a number of stained windows; the chancel was restored in 1873 and there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £165, with residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Walter Astley Purton, B.A. of London University. Brick making is carried on extensively. Teynham was given to Christ Church, Canterbury, by Kenulf, King of Mercia (794-819), and the Archbishops of Canterbury had a palace here in or before 1184, which was successively occupied by Archbishops Baldwin (1184-91), Hubert Walter (1193-1207), Langton (1207-29), and Raynold (1313-28). Robert Kilwardby, Cardinal Bishop of Porto, received the pallium at Teynham in 1273, and in 1345 Edward III. was entertained here by Archbishop Stratford. King Henry III. granted to the town a market and a fair. Richard Harris, fruiterer to Henry VIII. planted 105 acres of rich land there with cherries, pippins and golden rennets, which he had obtained from beyond the sea; hence all the cherry gardens and orchards in Kent have been stocked with the Flemish cherry. On account of the marshes Teynham was formerly reputed to be unhealthy, but at the present time the health of the district is very satisfactory, this improvement being accounted for by the drainage of the marshes. Col. Charles John Roper Tyler, of Lynsted, is lord of the manor. There are in this parish about 43 acres of land (Queen Anne’s Bounty) belonging to the vicarage of Oare. The trustees of the late Captain G.H.Moore R.N. and Arthur L. Mercer esq. and William Roper Dixon esq. are the chief landowners. The area is 2,472 acres of land, 1 of inland and 114 of tidal water and 279 of foreshore; rateable value, £11,830; the population in 1911 was 1,071.
On the Creek is Conyer Quay; Great and Little Frognal are 1 mile south-west; Barrow Green, half a mile south-west.
GREENSTREET is partly in this parish and partly in Lynsted. Here is the Mission church of St.Andrew’s, which has 250 sittings; there is also a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1841. For names of residents see also Lynsted.
Sexton, John Button
Clerk to the Parish Council, Robert S. Dunn, 3 Albion terrace, Faversham.
Post, T., M.O. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office. - John Stanley Read, sub-postmaster. Letters by cycle from Sittingbourne.
Post Office, Lewson Street.- Mrs. Louisa Gambell, sub-postmistress. Letters from Sittingbourne, via Teynham.
Wall Letter Boxes.- West End; Teynham Street; Railway station; Conyer Quay; and Deerton Street.
Public Elementary School (mixed), Barrow Green, founded in 1849 & enlarged in 1872, 1884 & 1904, for 370 children. George Potts, master; Mrs. A.E.Potts, mistress; Miss Louisa Pound, infants’ mistress.
Railway Station, Charles Matthews, station master.

Private Residents

Bensted, Henry Thomas - Teynham Court Lodge
Evans, Thomas Henry - Newlands
Goodenough, Rev. Leonard William Victor M.A. (rector of Norton) - Worlds End, Lucerne Street.
Honeyball, Col. James Frederick V.D., J.P. - Newgardens
Purton, Rev. Walter Astley B.A. (vicar) - Vicarage
Selby, Prideaux George - Brusons - Greenstreet

Commercial

Austin, George - farmer
Bailey, John - Railway Inn
Bensted, Henry Thomas - farmer - Teynham Court Lodge
Broad, Walter - Fox Inn - Greenstreet
Brooker Arnold - Plough PH - Lucerne Street
Burrows, Harry - farm bailiff to Arthur L. Mercer esq. - Frognal Lane.
Denham, Edith (Miss) - dress maker
Eacott, R. Gilbert M.P.S. chemist
Eastwood & Co. Ltd - brick makers, Teynham & Conyer’s Quay
French, W. & Sons - grocers - Barrow Green
French, Caroline (Mrs) - small holder
French, Henry - Brunswick Arms PH - Conyer’s Quay
Gambell, Charles - shopkeeper - Lucerne Street
Gambell, Henry - farmer - Lucerne Street
Gambell, James - baker - Greenstreet
George, Stephen & George - builders - Greenstreet & wheelwrights - Deerton Street
George, Stephen, registrar of births & deaths for the Teynham sub-district, Faversham union & collector of assessed land & income taxes - Greenstreet
Gladwell, James - blacksmith - Lucerne Street
Goodwin, Arthur - farmer
Goodwin, Frank James - farm bailiff to W.R.Dixon esq., Home Farm
Greenstreet Co-operative Society Ltd (Frederick Clarke, manager)
Hills, Charles - hair dresser - Greenstreet
Honeyball & Son - coal merchants; head office at Sittingbourne
Honeyball, James Frederick - farmer & hop grower
Hunt, William & Co. - grocers - Greenstreet
Howard, Thomas - coffee tavern
Hunt, William & Co. - grocers - Greenstreet
Kemp, Henry - beer retailer - Greenstreet
King, Asa - shopkeeper - Conyer’s Quay
Mercer, R. & Co. - brickmakers
Mercer, Arhtur L. - farmer - Frognal Farm
Parris, Albert Edward - stationer
Post, James - hair dresser - Greenstreet
Ray & Co. - florists - Greenstreet
Read & Son - grocers & Post Office - Greenstreet
Rye, William - motor engineer, & garage & cycle repairer; cars for hire, Greenstreet. TN9 Teynham; T.A. “Rye”.
Saunders, James - farm Bailiff to Col. J.F.Honeyball, Newgardens
Selby, Prideaux George LRCP London, MRCS Eng. physician & surgeon, & medical officer of health for Faversham Rural District & public vaccinator for the 4th Faversham district - Brusons
Smith, Henry - timber merchant
Streatfield, William - fruiterer - Lewson Street
Thorpe, Edward - beer retailer - Greenstreet
Trice, Emily (Mrs) - Ship PH - Conyer’s Quay
Trigg, William - coach painter - Greenstreet
Watts, Arthur Hedley - boot maker - Greenstreet
White & Co. - barge builders - Conyer’s Quay
Whittle, Robert A. - draper - Greenstreet
Wigg, William - grocer
Wildash, Henry - insurance agent
Wildash, John - bricklayer