Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

Return to Directories Home Page


Recent Additions

- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory
- 1922 Kelly's Directory

Directories and Gazettes List

- 1791 Universal Directory
- 1832 to 1834 Pigot Directory
- 1838 Stapleton Directory
- 1847 Bagshaw's Directory
- 1858 Melville Directory
- 1868 National Gazetteer
- 1882 Kelly's Directory
- 1891 Kelly's Directory
- 1903 to 1904 Milton-next-Sittingbourne Union Directory
- 1908 to 1909 Gazetteer Lynsted and Greenstreet
- 1911 Kelly's Directory
- 1913 Kelly's Directory
- 1914 Kelly's Directory
- 1918 Kelly's Directory
- 1922 Kelly's Directory
- 1926 Sittingbourne, Milton and District Directory

 

 

Kellys Directory - 1922

Covers: Kingsdown - Lynsted - Teynham

Kingsdown

KINGSDOWN (Near Sittingbourne) is a village and small straggling parish, 4 miles south-by-east from Sittingbourne station on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and 7 south-west from Faversham, and in the Faversham division of the county, Milton hundred and union, lathe of Scray, Sittingbourne petty sessional division, county court district of Sittingbourne and in the rural deanery of Sittingbourne, archdeaconry of Maidstone and diocese of Canterbury. This place gave the title of baron (28th Aug. 1858) to the Rt. Ron. Thomas Leigh-Pemberton Q.C. 1st and only Baron Kingsdown, who died unmarried 7th Oct. 1867, when the title became extinct. The church of St. Catherine is of Kentish rag, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early English style, and was rebuilt on the old site in 1865. at the expense of the late Lord Kingsdown. from designs by E. W. Pugin esq.; it has a tower with spire containing a bells, and affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, net yearly value about £100, with 18 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Robert D. Leigh-Pemberton esq. and held since 1921 by the Rev. Edward Wham Tetley Taylor-Jones M.A. of Queens' College. Cambridge, who is also rector of Milstead. Kingsdown House is the residence of Charles W. Wood esq. Robert Douglas Leigh-Pemberton esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is rich; subsoil. clay. The chief crops are hops, fruit & wheat. The area is 705 acres; rateable value, £627; in 1911 the population was 52.
Parish Clerk, William Kennard.
Letters are delivered by foot post from Sittingbourne. Doddington is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1½ miles distant
Wall Letter Box, in Kingsdown Street
Taylor-Jones Rev. Edward William
Tetley M.A. (rector), Rectory
Wood Charles W. Kingsdown house
Farmer William, farmer, fruit grower & hop grower, Street farm
Spicer James, farmer

Lynsted

LYNSTED (or Lynstead or Linsted)LYNSTED (or Lynstead or Linsted) is a parish and large village, a mile and a half south-west from Teynham station on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and 3 south-east from Sittingbourne, in the Faversham division of the county, Teynham hundred, lathe of Scray, Faversham petty sessional division, union and county court district and in the rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is of flint in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower, with spire, containing a clock and 5 bells; there are several handsome monuments to the Teynham, Knatchbull-Hugessen and Drury families, and brasses to those of Rooper and Worley, besides a number of stained windows, including a memorial window to the Rev. John Hamilton M.A. vicar, 1839-91. The west windows were restored in 1894 at a cost of £120, and in 1905 the roof was restored at a cost of £700: there are 400 sit-tings, 250 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1693 ; marriages and burials, 1654. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value, £300, with 3 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Thomas Jackson Sewell M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. William Tyler esq. Mr. John Thomas, Mrs. Vallance and George A. H. Smith esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is brick earth; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are fruit, hops and wheat. The area is 1,827 acres; rateable value, £7,378; in 1917 the population was 1,100.

DEDMAN (or Dadmans) is three-quarters of a mile south from Lynsted church.

GREENSTREET is a large village, 1½ miles north, partly in this parish and partly in Teynham, and on the road from Sittingbourne to Dover, which divides the parishes. Here are a Wesleyan chapel and Salvation Army barracks.
Clerk to the Parish Council, Thomas L. Ackermann, Council schools.
Post, M. O. & T. Office, Lynsted.—Herbert Porter, sub-postmaster. Letters through Sittingbourne
Wall Letter Box, Herriott Wood
Public Elementary School (mixed), built in 1877, for 200 children, was enlarged in 1897 to hold 317 children; John Alfred Mansfield, master; Miss G. J. Herring, infants' mistress
Carrier.—George Shepherd passes through Greenstreet from Chatham to Faversham, tues. thurs. & sat

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Marked thus * receive their letters through Teynham, Sittingbourne.
Barling Miss, Tickham
Court Mrs. The Greys
*Dixon Bridges,Mount house,Greenstreet
*Dixon William Roper J.P. Cambridge house
Filmer Frank, The Grange
*French Mrs. Greenstreet
*Lees Mrs. The Walnuts, Greenstreet
McMichael Hon. Mrs.Walpole - Grange
Mercer Rt. Montague - The Batteries
Oyler Potter George - Malt house
Sewell Rev. Thomas Jackson M.A. - Vicarage
Smith George Alfred. Henry - Berkeley house
Vallance Mrs. - Aymers

COMMERCIAL.

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
*Baling Edward Henry, fruiterer
Bench Charles, farmer
*Branchett John, Swan P.H. Green-street
*Broad William H. George P.H. Greenstreet
Busbridge Charles Robert, blacksmith
Busbridge Frances (Miss), shopkeeper
*Carrier Emily (Mrs.), stationer, Greenstreet
*Carrier Jease, watch maker, Greenstreet
Champ Horace, Fox Hunters P.H
*Court Frederick, tailor, Greenstreet
*Dalton Philip, farmer
*Dixon William Roper J.P. farmer & hop grower, Cambridge house *Filmer Frank B. butcher, Greenstreet
*Hadlow Terry, butcher, Greenstreet
*Handcock Edward Frank, watchmaker, Greenstreet
Kemp Percy, farm bailiff to Major H. McDougall
*Kemp William Ernest, saddler, Greenstreet
*°Maxsted Jn.D. frmr. Tenacre farm Mercer Robert Montague, farmer & hop grower, The Batteries
*Millen Edward Charles, hay & straw dealer, Greenstreet
*Morgan Geo. confectnr. Greenstreet
*Nicholls Alfred Edward, general dealer, Greenstreet
Oyler Potter George, farmer & fruit salesman
*Peene Wm.shoeing smith, Greenstreet Pilcher Mary (Miss), shopkeeper, Greenstreet
*Pope Charles Henry, shopkeeper, Greenstreet
Porter Herbert, grocer, & post office
*Ray George. (Mrs.), florist, Greenstreet
*Saner Ralph Henry, Dover Castle P.H. Greenstreet
Smith Frederick & Charles. fruiterers
Smith George Alfred Henry, farmer, Berkeley house
Smith William, farmer
Smith William, farmer, Colyers Inn
Spicer Edwin, builder
Taylor Samuel. Edward - Black Lion P.H
*Thomas John, farmer, Nouds farm
*Thomsett William Henry fishmonger - Greenstreet
*Watts Henry James - ironmonger.Greenstreet
*Wilkins Ernest, butcher, Greenstreet
*Woodfine John Thomas, marine store

Teynham

TEYNHAM (or Tenham)is an ancient town and parish, on the coast of the Swale, partly in a marshy district, with a station, a quarter of a mile north from the village, on the South Eastern and Chatham railway, and is 3 miles east from Sittingbourne, 4 west from Faversham and 43 from London, in the Faversham division of the county, hundred of the same name, lathe of Scray, Faversham petty sessional division, union and county court district, and in the rural deanery of Ospringe and archdeaconry and diocese of Canterbury. This place gives the title of baron to the Roper-Curzon family- The parish church of St. Mary is of flint, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and has a tower containing 6 bells: there are several brasses and a number of stained windows: the chancel was restored in an and there are 400 sittings. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250,with residence, in the gift of the Archdeacon of Canterbury, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Walter Astley Murton B.A. of London University. Brick making is carried on extensively. Teynham was given to Christ Church, Canterbury, by Kenulf, King of Mercia (794-819), and the Archbishops of Canterbury had a palace here in or before 1184, which was successively occupied by Archbishops Baldwin (1184-91), Hubert Walter (1193-1207), Langton (1207-29), and Raynold (1313-28). Robert Kilwardby, Cardinal Bishop of Porto, received the pallium at Teynham in 1273, and in 1345 Edward III. was entertained here by Archbishop Stratford. King Henry III. granted to the town a market and a fair. Richard Harris, fruiterer to Henry VIII. planted 105 acres of rich land here with cherries, pippins and golden rennets, which he had obtained from beyond the sea; hence all the cherry gardens and orchards in Kent have been stocked with the Flemish cherry. On account of the marshes Teynham was formerly reputed to be unhealthy, but at the present time the health of the district is very satisfactory, this improvement being accounted for by the drainage of the marshes. Charles William Roper Tyler is lord of the manor. Arthur L. Mercer esq. William Roper Dixon esq. John D. Maxsted esq. and Col. J. F. Honeyball V.D., J.P. are the chief landowners. The area is 2,472 acres of land, s of inland and *14 of tidal water and 279 of foreshore; rateable value, £11,437; the population in 1911 was 1,701.
On the Creek is Conyer's Quay; Great and Little Frognal are 1 mile south-west; Barrow Green, half a mile south-west.
GREENSTREET is partly in this parish and partly in Lynsted. Here is the Mission church of St. Andrew's, which has 250 sittings; there is also a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1841. For names of residents see also Lynsted.
Sexton. Edgar Bruce.
Clerk to the Parish Council, Robert S. Dunn, 3 Albion terrace, Faversham.
Post, T., M. O. & T. E. D. Office. - John Stanley Read, sub-postmaster. Letters by cycle from Sittingbourne
Post Office, Lawson Street - Mrs. Louisa Gambell, sub-postmistress. Letters from Sittingbourne, via Teynham
Wall Letter Boxes.—West End; Teynham street; Rail­way station; Conyer's Quay & Deerton Street
Public Elementary School (mixed), Barrow Green, founded in 1849 & enlarged in 1872, 1884 & 1904, for 370 children; George Potts, master; Mrs. A. E. Potts, mistress; Miss Louisa Pounds, infants' mistress
Railway Station, Charles Matthews, station master.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Hammond Rev. Philip Warren M.A. (rector of Norton), Worlds End, Lewson Street
Honeyball Col. James Frederick V.D., J.P. Newgardens
Maxsted John D. Newlands
Purton Rev. Walter Astley (vicar), Vicarage
Selby Prideaux George, Brusons, Greenstreet

COMMERCIAL

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Austin George, farmer
Bailey John, Railway inn
Broad Walter, Fox inn, Greenstreet
Brooker Arnold, Plough P.H. Lewson Street
Burrows Harry, farm bailiff to Arthur L. Mercer esq. Frognal farm
Denham Edith (Miss), dress maker
Eacott R. Gilbert M.P.S. chemist
Eastwoods Limited, brick makers, Teynham & Conyer's Quay.
French W. & Sons, grocers, butchers & farmers, Barrow Green
French Caroline (Mrs.), smallholder
French Henry, Brunswick Arms P.H. Conyer's Quay
Gambell Charles. shopkeeper, Lewson St
Gambell Henry. farmer, Lewson Street
Gambell James, baker, Greenstreet
George Stephen & George, builders, Greenstreet & wheelwrights, Lewson Street & Deerton street
George Stephen, registrar of births & deaths for the Teynham sub-district, Faversham union & collector of assessed land & income taxes, Greenstreet
Gladwell James. blacksmith, Lewson St
Goodwin Frank James, farm bailiff to W. R. Dixon esq. Home farm
Greenstreet Co-operative Society Ltd (Frederick Clarke, manager)
Hales Frederick, coffee tavern
Hills Charles. hair dresser, Greenstreet
Honeyball & Son, coal merchants; head office at Sittingbourne
°Honeyball James Frederick, farmer & hop grower
Hunt William. & Co. grocers, Greenstreet
King Asa, shopkeeper, Conyer's Quay
°Mercer Arthur L. farmer, Frognal farm
Parris Albert Edward, stationer
Post James, hair dresser, Greenstreet
Ray & Co. florists, Greenstreet
Read & Son, grocers, & post office, Greenstreet
Red Triangle Club (YMCA), Teynham lane
Rye William, motor engineer, & garage & cycle repairer; cars for hire, Greenstreet. T N 9 Teynham; T A "Rye "
Saunders James, farm bailiff to Col. J. F. Honeyball, Newgardens
Selby Prideaux George L.R.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. physician & surgeon, & medical officer of health for Faversham. Rural District & public vaccinator for the 4th Faversham district, Brusons
Smith Henry, timber merchant
Stevens Edward, farmer
Streatfield William. fruiterer. Lewson Street
Trice Stephen, Ship P.H. Conyer's Quay
Trigg William. coach painter, Greenstreet
Watts Arthur Hedley, boot maker, Greenstreet
White & Co. barge builders Conyer's Quay
Whittle Robert. A. draper, Greenstreet
Wigg William, grocer
Wildash Henry, insurance agent
Wildash John, bricklayer
°Wood Ferguson, farmer & hop grower, Teynham Court lodge