"Lynsted Times" Editions
These five titles were prepared in the run-up to the Lynsted War Memorial Exhibition, 10th November 2018 from original research by Nigel Heriz-Smith. For the Exhibition, there were 5 Issues under the general heading of "Home Front". These stories are drawn from newspapers over the wartime years (1914-18) and mostly come from our Parish (or at least Kent!). Each "newspaper" can be read by opening the PDF copies linked below. Eight more "Lynsted Times" were printed and widely enjoyed during the Lynsted Festival Weekend of 2016.
Issue 1: 1914 - War Arrives in Kent: Including,
- Running from the war - holiday-makers and Belgians;
- Explosion jitters;
- Horses requisitioned;
- Boy Scouts called on;
- White feathers;
- Five brothers from Oare enlist;
- Return of wounded men;
- Thefts; and
- Enemy aircraft over Sheppey
Issue 2: 1915 - Grinding to a Halt - the New Army: Including,
- Naval casualties;
- AWOL soldiers;
- Brickfield closures;
- Voluntary Corps;
- Rolls of Honour;
- Bomb kills blackbird!
- Petty Crimes; and
- Damp Vicarage
Issue 3: 1916 - Conscription: Including,
- Alice Post story;
- Enlistment and Exemptions;
- Beacon Hill Isolation Hospital;
- Petty Crimes;
- Motoring accidents;
- Air Attacks;
- Building fires; and
- "Lights Out!"
Issue 4: 1917 - U-boats, rations and Conscription: Including,
- Military Honours;
- Christmas Gifts to Trenches;
- Flier's miraculous escape;
- Local Military Medals and Promotions;
- Destoyer raid on Kent;
- Landowner Auctions;
- Fire Brigade; and
- Teynham Roll of Honour.
Issue 5: 1918 - Crisis and Resolution: Including,
- Local Military Medal survivor;
- POW story;
- Home Gifts to the Trenches;
- German Navy men on the Run caught at Deal;
- Influenza impact in Kent; and
- Aboslute surrender demanded by Greenstreet Worker's Union.
I hope you find these stories interesting. My researches continue.
© Copyright 2018, If used, please include a credit to "Nigel Heriz-Smith Collection"