Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

The Story of Claxfield Farmhouse

- Historic Environment Record Entry

Other Library Sections

- Data (lists, tables, statistics)

- Image Collections

- Books, Pamphlets and Extracts

- eNewsletters

- Material from nearby places

 

Claxfield Farmhouse, Claxfield Lane

Claxfield Farmhouse sits south of Greenstreet (London Road).

Historic Environment Record - Claxfield Farmhouse

HER Number: TQ 96 SW 1217

Summary

Grade II* listed building. Main construction periods 1500 to 1599 (Mediaeval to Post-medieaeval)
Summary from record TQ 96 SW 49:

Claxfield is a wealden hall house dating from the 15th or 16th century and possibly built on the foundations of an earlier property. The east front is half timbered and the rear partly weatherboarded. In the early 20th century it was divided into two tenements but has since reverted to a single residence.
Grid Reference: TQ 94435 62562
Map Sheet: TQ96SW

Protected Status: Listed Building (II*) 1343922: CLAXFIELD FARMHOUSE

Full description

TQ 96 SW LYNSTED CLAXFIELD ROAD (west side)
2/47 Claxfield Farmhouse

Wealden hall house, now house. C16. Timber framed and exposed,close studded with plaster infill, with plain tiled roof. Four framed bays and later framed wing to rear right. Two storeys, with jettied end bays, and flying wall plate over 2 central bays carried on arched braces. Right hand hall bay with arched bracing, the left hand hall bay with mid-rail on ground floor. Central projectirg semi-dormer with pendant bargeboards. Hipped roof with gablets and stacks to left and offset and projecting at end left. Three metal casements on first floor, glazing bar sashes in segmental bay window to left and central projecting gable, and wood casement to right, with evidence of blocked mullioned lights on both floors. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels to right. Interior: crown post roof.
Listing NGR: TQ9443862539

Description from record TQ 96 SW 49:

[TQ 9443 6256] Claxfield Farm [NAT] (1) On the Sittingbourne road coming from Lynsted is Claxfield, once the residence of the famous family of Greenstreet. It now belongs to Mr Potter Oyler and has been divided into two tenements. It possesses one of the finest fronts built in Elizabethan times. The timber frame is filled with white plaster and a beautiful porch is its principal feature. Modern windows have replace the leaded lights.(2) Claxfield - a fine old half-timber farmhouse, certainly dating from the 15th century which appears to be on earlier foundations. (3) "Claxfield Farm" (name confirmed by owner) a private residence, is in fair condition. The half timbered east front is jettied at the ends. There is a large external chimney stack at the south end. The rear is partly weatherboarded. Red tiled hipped gabled roof. GP/AO/59/196/5 from S.E. Correctly shown on 25" Antiquity Model.(4) Claxfield Farm [NR] (5) Claxfield Farm: re-investigated and as described above. (6) Claxfield Farmhouse, Grade II*, Claxfield Road (west side). Wealden hall house, now house. 16th century. (For full description see list.) (7) Claxfield Farm, c. 1500, the Wealden type, with a central timber porch added. (8)

Sources and further reading

--- Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
<1> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. OS 6" 1909.
<2> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. A Saunter through Kent 22 1928 60 illust opp p60 (C Igglesden).
<3> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. Teynham Manor and Hundred 1935 73 (E Selby).
<4> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. F1 ASP 10-JUL-59.
<5> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. OS 6" 1961.
<6> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. F2 AC 11-JUL-63.
<7> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. DOE (HHR) Kent Borough of Swale 21 March 1985 20.
<8> Unpublished document: OS Card / NAR index entry. The Buildings of England North East and East Kent 1983 380 (J Newman ed N Pevsner).
<9> Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 96 SW 49 - July, 1959.
<10> Bibliographic reference: Field report for monument TQ 96 SW 49 - July, 1963.