Not mentioned in the Domesday Book, estimates of the first chapel or church to be built in the hamlet of Lynsted/Linsted to raise it to the status of a "village" place the church's origins between 1180 (estimated age of part of the tower by Aymer Vallance) and 1229. Lynsted Church is mentioned as a “Chapel of Tenham” in the Archbishop’s Black Book, and was given, as well as Teynham, Doddington and Iwade, to his brother, the Archdeacon Simon Langton, in 1229 by Archbishop Stephen Langton.
Elizabeth Selby wrote at length about this church based on her first-hand access to the Parish Box up to 1935 when she published Teynham Manor and Hundred (798 - 1935). In her book, she lists vicars since 1280.
The painting of Lynsted Church from about 1790 (seen above) was discovered in the church bell-tower. A somewhat more bucolic view than the one we enjoy today! Originally donated to the Diocese in 1951 by Mr Sales (the name is unclear) of Birchington.
You may also find interesting the Kent County Association of Change Ringers web site.
Tenor 10-2-25 in G
Frame: 1944 on a foundation for 6 bells.
Retuning: Mears & Stainbank 1952
|1||4-1-16||28 5/8"||1639||John Wilnar|
|2||5-2-16||30 7/8"||1952||Mears & Stainbank|
|3||5-3-2||32 1/8"||1639||John Wilnar|
|4||8-0-0||35 7/8"||1884||John Warner & Sons|
|5||10-2-25||39 1/2"||1600||Robert Mot|
1597 2nd cast by Robert Mot.
c. 1600 4th cast by Robert Mot.
1600 Present tenor cast.
1639 Treble and 3rd cast by John Wilnar.
1884 4th recast by John Warner.
1944 Bells rehung in a new frame on a foundation for 6 bells.
1952 2nd recast and bells retuned and rehung by Mears & Stainbank.
Elizabeth Selby tells us:
“Various gifts are mentioned to the bells:
Elena Bix in 1473, 20/- to the buying of a Bell for the Church.
Joan Stebill, 1497, to the Great Bell 20d.
Richard Selhnere, 1517. 20/- to the Bell frames.
The Church Bells are as follows :-
The earlier No. 4 was also made by Robertus Mot.”