Lynsted with Kingsdown Society

Contact Us :: Links :: Privacy Policy

Return to WW1 Home Page

On this day...

RemembranceReturn to "Centenary Casualty Commemorations"


News from the Home FrontNewspaper snippets from the Home Front

Unknown soldiers - photos of soldiers without known names.

Imperial War Museum War Partnership logoFirst World War - On this day...... 18th March 1916


Under review
Remembering the men from the Kingsdown and Creekside Cluster
who gave their lives in the First World War

On the centenary of their death, we remember

William Charles DRAYSON (of Lynsted)
b. Jan/March 1897;
d. 18th March 1916. Aged 34

Corporal G/3969
6th (Service) Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)
Remembered with Honour
Loos Memorial, Pas-de-Calais, Panels 15 - 19
Killed in Action

Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais

William Charles DraysonWilliam was born in December 1882 in Eastry, Kent. Brought up in Woodnesborough, William was the second son of Robert Henry Drayson, a market gardener, and Sarah Jane (known as Jane), née Hammond. William was one of 14 children. His two elder siblings being Emily and Robert, and the younger Gertrude, Herbert, Richard, Rosa, Lucy, Harry, Frederick, Alice, Maude, Dorothy and Grace.

On 2 June 1906, William married Lily May Weaver at All Saints Church, Stourmouth, Kent. The couple settled in Woodnesborough during which time William was working as a fireman in the colliery. In 1907, their first daughter, Christina May, was born, followed in 1909 by a second, Ivy Kathleen. Sadly, after just 6 years of marriage, Lily died of tuberculosis in September 1912 aged just 27. Lily is buried in the churchyard of St Mary the Blessed Virgin, Woodnesborough. Lily's brother, Reginald Douglas Weaver, signed up during World War 1 and died during the 3rd Battle of the Scarpe on 3rd May 1917.

Christina and Ivy, were just 3 and 6 when they lost their mother. Two years later they also became separated from their Father on the declaration of war.

William enlisted in the 6th (Service) Battalion, The Buffs at Margate. The Battalion was formed at Canterbury in August 1914 as part of the First New Army (K1) and moved swiftly to Colchester. The first arrivals there found nothing but empty barracks that had been vacated in haste. The Battalion was soon up to strength but men kept arriving and the camp soon became over-crowded. An extract from "The Historical Records of The Buffs" describes life at the camp:

"Anyone who served with one of Kitchener's battalions during the latter part of 1914 and the beginning of the following year will remember what it was like. Genuine hard work and honest efforts on the part of all to make bricks with so very little straw. It is easier to collect heroes for the defence of their country than to arm, clothe, and equip them; and the number of men got very far in adavance of the amount of necessities for them. A new battalion at this period was not a pretty sight. A very ugly shoddy suit of blue was doled out to the soldier, with a civilian greatcoat and generally a dummy rifle, and with this turn-out he did real strenuous drill and training. Old service rifles, for drill purposes only, began to come in later on, and the men gradually obtained sufficient blankets and clothing. Nothing daunted the spirit of the troops, however, and life was cheery enough."

On 6 November, the Battalion returned to Kent, being based at Sandling Camp, near Shorncliffe. The camp quickly became a quagmire owing to heavy rain and bad drainage. The huts even became uninhabitable with some soldiers erecting their tents inside to keep off the rain. With Christmas approaching the soldiers moved out and into billets in the villages of Elham and Lyminge where they were given a generous welcome by the community. The Battalion remained in these billets during January and on the 31 January they attended a special service in Canterbury Cathedral that had been arranged by the Dean.

The Battalion then moved to Aldershot for more advanced training that lasted until 1 June when, now part of the 37th Brigade of the 12th Division, they were mobilised and left for France. After one night in Boulogne, they were entrained for St Omer and then marched to Remilly-Werquin. Here they rested 3 days before, during very hot weather, they marched to billets and bivouacs at Meteren, near Bailleul.

On 12 June, William's Battalion moved up to Armentieres to undergo trench warfare training before moving forward to the real thing. The remainder of his summer was spent alternating between the trenches and resting in leaking, uncomfortable and crowded billets.

The Battalion took part in the Battle of Loos (25 September to 8 October 1915) and, along with other battalions, suffered heavy losses. By the end of October the Battalion was low in numbers and were employed in work such as fetching and carrying for the Royal Engineers. In November, they saw fighting around Hohenzollern Redoubt. Then in a very wet and cold December, the water was waist deep in the trenches, saw fighting in trenches at Givenchy and Festubert. A weary Battalion then faced the long monotony of the winter.

It is clear that William's war was hard fought. In his final months he experienced what was considered the coldest winter of the war. Trenches were waist deep in mud and men lived, and in some cases drowned, in these appalling conditions. His last 3 months were spent almost entirely in the trenches, starting in 1916 under bombardment.

At the beginning of March, William's battalion took up their positions in the trenches near the Hohenzollern Redoubt. This was a defensive strongpoint of the German 6th Army. This area had, over the winter months, been tunnelled by the British 170th Tunnelling Company. The enemy's view of the British Positions was unobstructed and the intense shelling over the past few weeks had turned no man's land into a crater field. On 2 March, four mines (the largest yet used by the British) were detonated, followed by a British advance towards the German lines under orders to occupy any crater within 60 yards of our line.

The only Victoria Cross awarded to William's battalion was to Corporal William Cotter for his action on 6 March 1916.

Military records report that on the day William died, there was much confusion. Between 5am and 7am, 2000 shells had rained down. Gas shells and damage from short range mortars (minenwerfers) caused significant damage to our front-line defences and all communications with other troops at Annequin and Noyelles were cut. This caused officers on the ground to make decisions as best they could.

Confusion in the field was made worse by noise and poison gas. The following extract from The History of the 12th (Eastern) Division in the Great War 1914-1918 by P Middleton Brumwell MC, CF, explains the scene on 18 March 1916:

On the right of the line, held by the 6th Buffs, the garrisons of Nos. 1 and 2 and "A" craters were all killed or buried, and confusion rendered worse by the fact that West Face and the top end of Saville Row, Saps* 9 and 9a, had been filled in by the debris from the explosions. The Germans seized the craters, and our counter-attack was delayed until these saps were cleared. Eventually three companies of the 6th Royal West Kent delivered a counter-attack and regained the near lips of these craters. The 7th East Surrey were holding the left of the line, and here "C" crater was blown up, and the Germans rushed "B" and No.4, and for some time held Sap 12 and Russian Sap, penetrating to Sticky Trench. Company-Sergt-Major Palmer and three others appear to have been all that were left of the garrison of "C" crater after the explosion. They continued bombing and firing until driven back to "B," and thence to No.4, and finally out of that. A very gallant counter-attack by a party of the 7th East Surrey, led by Captain Scott, bombed the enemy out of No.4, and established posts overlooking "B," somewhat restoring the position in this sector. Meanwhile blocks had been established in Sap 12 and Russian Sap, and by 9.25pm these positions had been consolidated. No.3 crater had been held throughout the attack. At 3.15am on the 19th inst, some of the 6th Queen's, under captain Cannon, regained the near lips of "B" and "C" craters, but had to withdraw from the latter at daylight."

* In trench warfare, the practice of digging small 'sap' trenches at roughly ninety degrees to existing lines and then digging a new trench line at the front of the saps. A slow, but relatively safe, way of moving forward.

William was one of 33 members of his battalion killed on 18 March 1916. Only two have known graves.

William is commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France, on panels 15 to 19.

Loos Memorial
Drayson Memorial Panel
Woodnesborough Memorial Drayson

In addition to the Lynsted Memorial, William is also commemorated on the Woodnesborough, Kent, Civic War Memorial which is situated in the churchyard of St Mary the Blessed Virgin, Woodnesborough, near Sandwich, Kent. Within this churchyard William is also remembered on the headstone of his parent's grave.

Deal and Walmer Roll of Honour fir W C Drayson

Ivy Kathleen Drayson, Younger Daughter of WilliamFamily Photographs and Story

William's story illustrates sacrifices made, and the loss suffered by those at home. Records show that two of William's brothers also served their country. Richard in Egypt, where he received an eye wound and malaria, and Frederick in Bombay and South Africa. Both survived.

Further sadness followed for William's two young daughters who were orphaned on his death and remained with Frank and Alice Weaver, until old enough to find their own way in life. A year after their father's death, on 3 May 1917, their maternal uncle, Reginald Weaver, was reported missing in action. Reginald was the younger brother of Frank with whom William's children had been sent to live. Reginald's death was confirmed in 18 April 1918 and he is also commemorated on the Lynsted memorial.

William's own father did not live to see the end of the war dying, aged 60, on 25 October 1918. William's mother died on 5 January 1939 aged 78 and is buried along with his father at Woodnesborough.




Ivy Drayson's Wedding Photograph

The photograph above shows Ivy Drayson's wedding day. Her older sister, Christina, is shown seated on the left.

Others in the photograph are:-

Back row from left: Herbert Drayson (older brother of William), Harry Bone (grooms older brother), Albert Bone (groom), Ivy Kathleen Drayson, Frank Weaver, Ivy and Christina's maternal uncle, Stanley Bone (groom's younger brother.)
Front row: Christina Drayson (left), Alice Weaver on far right (wife of Frank). The 2 young women are the Weaver's own children and the boys their grandchildren.

Record of Effects for William Charles Drayson

As Charles's childrens legal guardian, on 15 February 1917 Alice Weaver received his back pay of £7 12s 6d (£7.63) and his gratuity of £6 10s 0d (£6.05) on 15 September 1919.

William was posthumously awarded the British and Victory Medals and the 1914-1915 Star.

British Victory 1914-1915 Star
British Medal
Victory Medal
1915 Star

Document history: Updated 17th July 2016