First World War - Despatches


Soldier at restSource: 2nd Supplement to the London Gazette (13th August 1915), No. 29264/page 8125. Admiralty, 16th August, 1915.

The following despatch has been received from Vice-Admiral John M. de Robeok,
reporting the landing of the Army on the Gallipoli Peninsula, 25th-26th April, 1915:-

"Triad", July 1, 1915

SIR,-I have the honour to forward herewith an account of the operations carried out on the 25th and 26th April, 1915, during which period the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force was landed and firmly established in the Gallipoli peninsula. The landing commenced at 4.20 a.m. on 25th. The general scheme was as follows:-

Two main landings were to take place, the first at a. point just north of Gaba Tepe, the second on the southern end of the peninsula. In addition, a landing was to be made at Kum Kale, and a demonstration in force to be carried out in the Gulf of Xeros near Bulair.

The night of the 24th-25th was calm and very clear, with a brilliant moon, which set at 3 a.m.

The first landing, north of Gaba Tepe, was carried out under the orders of Rear-Admiral C. F. Thursby, C.M.G. His squadron consisted of the following ships:—

Battleships Cruiser Destroyers Seaplane Carrier Balloon Ship Trawlers
Prince of Wales.
Bacchante Beagle.
Ark Royal Manica 15
To "Queen," "London," and "Prince of Wales" was delegated the duty of actually landing the troops. To "Triumph," "Majestic," and "Bacchante" the duty of covering the landing by gunfire.

In this landing a surprise was attempted. The first troops to be landed were embarked in the battleships "Queen," "London," and "Prince of Wales."

The squadron then approached the land at 2.58 a.m. at a speed of 5 knots. When within a short distance of the beach selected for landing the boats were sent ahead. At 4.20 a.m. the boats reached the beach and a landing was effected.

The remainder of the infantry of the covering force were embarked at 10 p.m., 24th.

The troops were landed in two trips, the operation occupying about half an hour, this in spite of the fact that the landing was vigorously opposed, the surprise being only partially effected.

The disembarkation of the main body was at once proceeded with. The operations were somewhat delayed owing to the transports having to remain a considerable distance from the shore in order to avoid the howitzer and field guns' fire brought to bear on them and also the fire from warships stationed in the Narrows, Chanak.

The beach here was very narrow and continuously under shell fire. The difficulties of disembarkation were accentuated by the necessity of evacuating the wounded; both operations proceeded simultaneously. The service was one which called for great determination and coolness under fire, and the success achieved indicates the spirit animating all concerned. In this respect I would specially mention the extraordinary gallantry and dash shown by the 3rd Australian Infantry Brigade (Colonel E. G. Sinclair Maclagan, D.S.O.), who formed the covering force. Many individual acts of devotion to duty were performed by the personnel of the Navy; these are dealt with below. Here I should like to place on record the good service performed by the vessels employed in landing the second part of the covering force; the seamanship displayed and the rapidity with which so large a force was thrown on the beach is deserving of the highest praise.

On the 26th the landing of troops, guns and stores continued throughout the day; this was a most trying service, as the enemy kept up an incessant shrapnel fire, and it was extremely difficult to locate the well-concealed guns of the enemy. Occasional bursts of fire from the ships in the Narrows delayed operations somewhat, but these bursts of fire did not last long, and the fire from our ships always drove the enemy's ships away.

The enemy heavily counter-attacked, and though supported by a very heavy shrapnel fire he could make no impression on our line, which was every minute becoming stronger. By .nightfall on the 26th April our position north of Gaba Tepe was secure.

The landing at the southern extremity of the Gallipoli peninsula was carried out under the orders of Rear-Admiral R. E. Wemyss, C.M.G., M.V.O., his squadron consisting of the following ships:-

Battleships Cruisers Fleet Sweepers Trawlers
Lord Nelson.
Prince George
6 14

Landings in this area were to be attempted at five different places; the conditions at each landing varied considerably. The position of beaches is given below.

Map of the attack on Gallipoli Peninsular

Position of Beach. - "Y" beach, a point about 7,000 yards north-east of Cape Tekeh. "X" beach, 1,000 yards north-east of Cape Tekeh. "W" beach, Cape Tekeh - Cape Helles. "V" .beach, Cape Helles - Seddul Bahr. Camber, Seddul Bahr. "S" beach, Eski-Hissarlik Point. Taking these landings in the above order:- Landing at "Y" Beach. - The troops to be first landed, the King's Own Scottish Borderers, embarked on the 24th in the "Amethyst" and "Sapphire" and proceeded with the transports "Southland" and "Braemar Castle" to a position off Cape Tekeh. At 4.0 a.m. the boats proceeded to "Y" beach, timing their arrival there at 5.0 a.m., and pulled ashore covered by fire from H.M.S. "Goliath." The landing was most successfully and expeditiously carried out, the troops gaining the top of the high cliffs overlooking this beach without being opposed; this result I consider due to the rapidity with which the disembarkation was carried out and the well-placed covering fire from ships.

The Scottish Borderers were landed in two trips, followed at once by the Plymouth Battalion Royal Marines. These troops met with severe opposition on the top of the cliffs, where fire from covering ships was of little assistance and, after heavy fighting, were forced to re-embark on the 26th. The re-embarkation was carried out by the following ships: "Goliath," "Talbot," "Dublin," "Sapphire," and "Amethyst." It was most ably conducted by the beach personnel and covered by the fire of the warships, who prevented the enemy reaching the edge of the cliff, except for a few snipers. Landing at " X" Beach. - The 2nd Battalion Royal Fusiliers (two companies and M.G. Section) embarked in "Implacable" on 24th, which ship proceeded to a position off the landing-place, where the disembarkation of the troops commenced at 4.30 a.m., and was completed at 5.15 a.m.

A heavy fire was opened on the cliffs on both sides. The "Implacable" approached the beach, and the troops were ordered to land, fire being continued until the boats were close into the beach. The troops on board the "Implacable" were all landed by 7 a.m. without any casualties. The nature of the beach was very favourable for the covering fire from ships, but the manner in which this landing was carried out might well serve as a model. Landing at "W" Beach.—The 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers embarked in "Euryalus" and "Implacable" on the 24th, who proceeded to positions off the landing-place, where the troops embarked in the boats at about 4 a.m. Shortly after 5 a.m. "Euryalus" approached "W" beach and "Implacable" "X" beach. At 5 a.m. the covering ships opened a heavy fire on the beach, which was continued up to the last moment before landing. Unfortunately this fire did not have the effect on the extensive wire entanglements and trenches that had been hoped for, and the troops, on landing at 6 a.m., were met with a very heavy fire from rifles, machine guns, and pom-poms, and found the obstructions on the beach undamaged. The formation .of this beach lends itself admirably to the defence, the landing-place being com¬manded by sloping cliffs offering ideal positions for trenches and giving a perfect field of fire. The only weakness in the enemy's position was on the flanks, where it was just possible to land on the rocks and thus enfilade the more important defences. This landing on the rocks was effected with great skill, and some maxims, cleverly concealed in the cliffs and which completely enfiladed the main beach, were rushed with the bayonet. This assisted to a great extent in the success of the landing, the troops, though losing very heavily, were not to be denied and the beach and the approaches to it were soon in our possession

The importance of this success cannot be overestimated; "W" and "V" beaches were the only two of any size in this area, on which troops, other than infantry, could be disembarked, and failure to capture this one might have had serious consequences as the landing at "V" was held up. The beach was being continuously sniped and a fierce infantry battle was carried on round it throughout the entire day and the following night. It is impossible to exalt too highly the service rendered by the 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers in the storming of the beach; the dash and gallantry displayed were superb. Not one whit behind in devotion to duty was the work of the beach personnel, who worked untiringly throughout the day and night, landing troops and stores under continual sniping. The losses due to rifle and machine-gun fire sustained by the boats' crews, to which they had not the satisfaction of being able to reply, bear testimony to the arduous nature of the service.

During the night of the 25th-26th enemy attacked continuously, and it was not till 1 p.m. on the 26th, when "V" beach was cap¬tured, that our position might be said to be secure.

The work of landing troops, guns, and stores continued throughout this period and the conduct of all concerned left nothing to be desired. Landing at "V" Beach. - This beach, it was anticipated, would be the most difficult to capture; it possessed all the advantages for defence which "W" beach had, and in addition the flanks were strongly guarded by the old castle and village of Seddul Bahr on the east and perpendicular cliffs on the west; the whole foreshore was covered with barbed wire entanglements which extended in places under the sea. The position formed a natural amphitheatre with the beach as stage.

The first landing here, as at all other places, was made in boats, but the experiment was tried of landing the remainder of the covering force by means of a collier, the "River Clyde" This steamer had been specially prepared for the occasion under the directions of Commander Edward Unwin; large ports had been cut in her sides and gangways built whereby the troops could reach the lighters which were to form a bridge on to the beach.

"V" beach was subjected to a heavy bombardment similarly to "W" beach, with the same result, i.e., when the first trip attempted to land they were met with a murderous fire from rifle, pom-pom and machine gun, which was not opened till the boats had cast off from the steamboats.

A landing on the flanks here was impossible and practically all the first trip were either killed or wounded, a few managing to find some slight shelter under a bank on the beach; in several boats all were either killed or wounded; one boat entirely disappeared, and in another there were only two survivors. Immediately after the boats had reached the beach the "River Clyde" was run ashore under a heavy fire rather towards the eastern end of the beach, where she could form a convenient breakwater during future landing of stores, &c.

As the "River Clyde" grounded, the lighters which were to form the bridge to the shore were run out ahead of the collier, but unfortunately they failed to reach their proper stations and a gap was left between two lighters over which it was impossible for men to cross; some attempted to land by jumping from the lighter which was in position into the sea and wading ashore; this method proved too costly the lighter being soon heaped with dead and the disembarkation was ordered to cease.

The troops in the "River Clyde" were protected from rifle and machine-gun fire and were in comparative safety.

Commander Unwin, seeing how things were going left the "River Clyde" and, standing up to his waist in water under a very heavy fire, got the lighters into position; he was assisted in this work by Midshipman G. L. Drewry, R.N.R. of H.M.S. "Hussar"; Midshipman W. St. A. Malleson, R.N., of H.M.S. "Cornwallis ": Able Seaman W. C. Williams, O.N. 186774 (R.F.R. B.3766), and Seaman R.N.R. George McKenzie Samson, O.N. 2408A, both of H.M.S. "Hussar."

The bridge to the shore, though now passable; could not be used by the troops, anyone appearing on it being instantly shot down, and the men in "River Clyde" remained in her till nightfall.

At 9.50 a.m. "Albion" sent in launch and pinnace manned by volunteer crews to assist in completing bridge, which did not quite reach beach; these boats, however, could not be got into position until dark owing to heavy fire.

It had already been decided not to continue to disembark on "V" Beach, and all other troops intended for this beach were diverted to "W"

The position remained unchanged on "V" beach throughout the day, men of war and the maxims mounted in "River Clyde" doing their utmost to keep down the fire directed on the men under partial shelter on the beach.

During this period many heroic deeds were performed in rescuing wounded men in the water.

During the night of the 25th-26th the troops in "River Clyde" were able to dis-embark under cover of darkness and obtain some shelter on the beach and in the village of Seddul Bahr, for possession of which now commenced a most stubborn fight.

The fight continued, supported ably by gunfire from H.M.S. "Albion," until 1.24 p.m., when our troops had gained a position from which they assaulted hill 141, which dominated the situation. "Albion" then ceased fire, and the hill, with old fort on top, was most gallantly stormed by the troops, led by Lieutenant-Colonel C. H. H. Doughty-Wylie, General Staff, who fell as the position was won. The taking of this hill effectively cleared the enemy from the neighbourhood of the "V" Beach, which could now be used for the disembarkation of the allied armies. The capture of this beach called for a display of the utmost gallantry and perseverance from the officers and men of both services - that they successfully accomplished their task bordered on the miraculous. Landing on the Camber, Seddul Bahr.—One half company Royal Dublin Fusiliers landed here, without opposition, the Camber being "dead ground." The advance from the Camber, however, was only possible on a narrow front, and after several attempts to enter the village of Seddul Bahr this half company had to withdraw after suffering heavy losses. Landing at "De Totts" "S" Beach.—The 2nd South Wales Borderers (less one company) and a detachment 2nd London Field Company R.E. were landed in boats, convoyed by "Cornwallis," and covered by that ship and "Lord Nelson."

Little opposition was encountered, and the hill was soon in the possession of the South Wales Borderers. The enemy attacked this position on the evening of the 25th and during the 26th, but our troops were firmly established, and with the assistance of the covering ships all attacks were easily beaten off. Landing at Kum Kale.—The landing here was undertaken by the French.

It was most important to prevent the enemy occupying positions in this neighbourhood, whence he could bring gun fire to bear on the transports off Cape Helles. It was also hoped that by holding this position it would be possible to deal effectively with the enemy's guns on the Asiatic shore immediately east of Kum Kale, which could fire into Seddul Bahr and De Potts.

The French, after a heavy preliminary bombardment, commenced to land at about 10 a.m., and by the afternoon the whole of their force had been landed at Kum Kale. When they attempted to advance to Yeni Shehr, their immediate objective, they were met by heavy fire from well-concealed trenches, and were held up just south of Kum Kale village.

During the night of the 25th-26th the enemy made several counter-attacks, all of which were easily driven off; during one of these 400 Turks were captured, their retreat being cut off by the fire from the battleships.

On the 26th, when it became apparent that no advance was possible without entailing severe losses and the landing of large reinforcements, the order was given for the French to withdraw and re-embark, which operation was carried out without serious opposition.

I now propose to make the following more general remarks on the conduct of the operations:-

From the very first the co-operation between army and navy was most happy; difficulties which arose were quickly surmounted, and nothing could have succeeded the tactfulness and forethought of Sir Ian Hamilton and his staff. The loyal support which I received from Contre-Amiral E. P. A. Guepratte simplified the task of landing the Allied armies simultaneously.

The Russian fleet was represented by H.I.R.M.S. "Askold," which ship was attached to the French squadron. Contre-Amiral Guepratte bears testimony to the value of the support he received from Captain Ivanoff, especially during the landing and re-embarkation of the French troops at Kum Kale.

The detailed organisation of the landing could not be commenced until the Army Headquarters returned from Egypt on the 10th April. The work to be done was very great, and the naval personnel and material available small.

Immediately on the arrival of the Army Staff at Mudros, committees, composed of officers of both services, commenced to work out the details of the landing operations, and it was due to these officers' indefatigable efforts that the expedition was ready to land on the 22nd April. The keenness displayed by the officers and men resulted in a good standard of efficiency, especially in the case of the Australian and New Zealand Corps, who appear to be natural boatmen.

Such actions as the storming of the Seddul Bahr position by the 29th Division must live in history for ever; innumerable deeds of heroism and daring were performed; the gallantry and absolute contempt for death displayed alone made the operations possible.

At Gaba Tepe the landing and the dash of the Australian Brigade for the cliffs was magnificent - nothing could stop such men. The Australian and New Zealand Army Corps in this, their first battle, set a standard as high as that of any army in history, and one of which their countrymen have every reason to be proud.

In closing this despatch I beg to bring to their Lordships' notice the names of certain officers and men who have performed meritorious service. The great traditions of His Majesty's Navy were well maintained, and the list of names submitted of necessity lacks those of many officers and men who performed gallant deeds unobserved and therefore unnoted. This standard was high, and if I specially mention one particular action it is that of Commander Unwin and the two young officers and two seamen who assisted him in the work of establishing communication between "River Clyde" and the beach. Rear-Admirals R. E Wemyss, C.M.G., M.V.O., C. F. Thursby, C.M.G. and Stuart Nicholson, M.V.O., have rendered invaluable service. Throughout they have been indefatigable in their efforts to further the success of the operations, and their loyal support has much lightened my duties and responsibilities.

I have at all times received the most loyal support from the Commanding Officers of His Majesty's ships during an operation which called for the display of great initiative and seamanship.

Captain R. F. Phillimore, C.B., M.V.O., A.D.C., as principal Beach Master, and Captain D. L. Dent, as principal Naval Transport Officer, performed most valuable service. SPECIAL RECOMMENDATIONS. Commander Edward Unwin, R.N.

While in "River Clyde," observing that the lighters which were to form the bridge to the shore had broken adrift, Commander Unwin left the ship and under a murderous fire attempted to get the lighters into position. He worked on until, suffering from the effects of cold and immersion, he was obliged to return to the ship, where he was wrapped up in blankets. Having in some degree recovered, he returned to his work against the doctor's order and completed it. He was later again attended by the doctor for three abrasions caused by bullets, after which he once more left the ship, this time in a lifeboat, to save some wounded men who were lying in shallow water near the beach. He continued at this heroic labour under continuous fire, until forced to stop through pure physical exhaustion. Midshipman George L. Drewry, R.N.R.

Assisted Commander Unwin at the work of securing the lighters under heavy rifle and maxim fire. He was wounded in the head, but continued his work and twice subsequently attempted to swim from lighter to lighter with a line. Midshipman Wilfred St. A. Malleson, R.N.

Also assisted Commander Unwin, and after Midshipman Drewry had failed from exhaustion to get a line from lighter to lighter, he swam with it himself and succeeded. The line subsequently broke, and he afterwards made two further but unsuccessful attempts at his self-imposed task. Able Seaman William Chas. Williams, O.N. 186774 (R.F.R. B.3766).

Held on to a line in the water for over an hour under heavy fire, until killed. Seaman R.N.R. George McKenzie Samson, O.N. 2408A.

Worked on a lighter all day under fire, attending wounded and getting out lines; he was eventually dangerously wounded by maxim fire. Lieutenant-Commander Ralph B. Janvrin, R.N.

Conducted the trawlers into Morto Bay, for the landing at " De Totts," with much skill. This officer showed great judgment and coolness under fire, and carried out a difficult task with great success. Lieutenant John A. V. Morse, R.N.

Assisted to secure the lighters at the bows of the "River Clyde" under a heavy fire, and was very active throughout the 25th and 26th at "V" beach. Surgeon P. B. Kelly, R.N., attached to R.N.A.S.

Was wounded in the foot on the morning of the 25th in "River Clyde." He remained in "River Clyde" until morning of the 27th, during which time he attended 750 wounded men, although in great pain and unable to walk during the last twenty-four hours. Lieutenant-Commander Adrian St. V. Keyes, R.N.

General Sir Ian Hamilton reports as follows :-

"Lieutenant-Commander Keyes showed great coolness, gallantry, and ability. The success of the landing on "Y" beach was largely due to his good services. When circumstances compelled the force landed there to re-embark, this officer showed exceptional resource and leadership in successfully conducting that difficult operation."

I entirely concur in General Hamilton's opinion of this officer's services on the 25th-26th April. Commander William H. Cottrell, R.N.V.R. This officer has organised the entire system of land communication; has laid and repaired cables several times under fire; and on all occasions shown zeal, tact, and coolness beyond praise.

Mr. John Murphy, Boatswain, H.M.S. "Cornwallis."
Midshipman John Saville Metcalf, R.N.R., H.M.S. "Triumph."
Midshipman Rupert E. M. Bethune, H.M.S. "Inflexible."
Midshipman Eric Oloff de Wet, H.M.S. "London."
Midshipman Charles W. Croxford, R.N.R., "H.M.S. Queen."
Midshipman C. A. L. Mansergh, H.M.S. "Queen."
Midshipman Alfred M. Williams, H.M.S. "Euryalus."
Midshipman Hubert M. Wilson, H.M.S. "Euryalus."
Midshipman G. F. D. Freer, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson."
Midshipman R. V. Symonds-Taylor, H.M.S. "Agamemnon."
Midshipman C. H. C. Matthey, H.M.S. "Queen Elizabeth."
Lieutenant Massy Goolden, H.M.S. "Prince of Wales."

Recommended for accelerated promotion :-
Mr. Charles Edward Bounton, Gunner, R.N., H.M.S. "Queen Elizabeth."

The following officers are "Commended for service in action":-

Captain H. A. S. Fyler, H.M.S. "Agamemnon," Senior Officer inside the Straits.
Captain A. W. Heneage, M.V.O., who organised and trained the mine-sweepers.
Captain E. K. Loring, Naval Transport Officer, Gaba Tepe.
Captain H. C. Lockyer, "Implacable."
Captain C. Maxwell-Lefroy, H.M.S. "Swift-sure."
Captain The Hon. A. D. E. H. Boyle, M.V.O., H.M.S. "Bacchante."
Captain A. V. Vyvyan, Beach Master, "Z" beach.
Captain C. S. Townsend, Beach Master, "W" beach.
Captain R. C. K. Lambert, Beach Master, "V" beach.
Commander The Hon. L. J. O. Lambart, H.M.S. "Queen."
Commander (now Captain) B. St. G. Collard, Assistant Beach Master, "W" beach.
Commander C. C. Dix, Assistant Beach Master, "Z" beach.
Commander N. W. Diggle, Assistant Beach Master, "V" beach.
Commander H. L. Watts-Jones, H.M.S. "Albion " (acting Captain).
Commander I. W. Gibson, M.V.O., H.M.S. "Albion."
Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander) J. B. Waterlow, "Blenheim."
Lieutenant-Commander H. V. Coates, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Lieutenant-Commander E. H. Cater, H.M.S. "Queen Elizabeth."
Lieutenant-Commander O. H. Pownall, H.M.S. "Adamant" (killed in action).
Lieutenant A. W. Bromley, R.N.R., "Euryalus."
Lieutenant H. R. W. Tumor, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Lieutenant H. F. Minchin, "Cornwallis."
Lieutenant Oscar Henderson, H.M.S. "Ribble."
Lieutenant Kenneth Edwards, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson."
Major W. T. C. Jones, D.S.O., R.M.L.I.. Beach Master, "X" beach.
Major W. W. Frankis, R.M.L.I., H.M.S. "Cornwallis."
Temporary Surgeon W. D. Galloway, H.M.S. "Cornwallis."
Mr. Alfred M. Mallett, Gunner T., H.M.S. "Ribble."
Mr. John Pippard, Boatswain, H.M.S. "Sapphire."
Midshipman Eric Wheler Bush, H.M.S. "Bacchante."
Midshipman Charles D. H. H. Dixon, H.M.S. "Bacchante."
Midshipman Donald H. Barton, H.M.S. "London."
Midshipman A. W. Clarke, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Probationary Midshipman William D. R. Hargreaves, R.N.R., H.M.S. "Sapphire."
Midshipman F. E. Garner, R.N.R., H.M.S. "Triumph."
Midshipman George H. Morris, R.N.R., H.M.S. "Lord Nelson."
Midshipman The Honourable G. H. E. Russell, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Midshipman D. S. E. Thompson, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Midshipman W. D. Brown, H.M.S. "Implacable."

The work accomplished by the destroyer flotillas fully maintained the high standard they have established in these waters. On the 25th and 26th "Wolverine" (Commander O. J. Prentis) (killed in action), "Scorpion" (Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander) A. B. Cunningham), "Renard" (Lieutenant-Commander L. G. B. A. Campbell), "Grampus" (Lieutenant-Commander R. Bacchus), "Pincher" (Lieutenant-Commander H. W. Wyld), and "Rattlesnake" (Lieutenant - Commander P. G. Wodehouse) carried out mine-sweeping operations under Captain Heneage inside the Dardanelles in a most satisfactory manner, being frequently under heavy fire. On the 26th the French sweepers "Henrietta" (Lieutenant de Vaisseau Auverny), "Marius Chambon" (Lieutenant de Vaisseau Blanc), and "Camargue" (Lieutenant de Vaisseau Bergeon) assisted them, "Henrietta" doing particularly well.

"Beagle" (Commander (now Captain) H. R. Godfrey), "Bulldog" (Lieutenant-Commander W. B. Mackenzie), "Scourge" (Lieutenant-Commander H. de B. Tupper), "Foxhound" (Commander W. G. Howard), "Colne" (Commander C. Seymour), "Chelmer" (Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander) H. T. England), "Usk" (Lieutenant-Commander W. G. C. Maxwell), and "Ribble" (Lieutenant-Commander R. W. Wilkinson) assisted in the disembarkation at Gaba Tepe.

Rear-Admiral Thursby reports as follows on the work accomplished by these boats:-

"The destroyers under Captain C. P. R. Coode (Captain ' D ') landed the second part of the covering force with great gallantry and expedition, and it is in my opinion entirely due to the rapidity with which so large a force was thrown on the beach that we were able to establish ourselves there."

I entirely concur in Admiral Thursby's remarks on the good work performed by this division.


Petty Officer John Hepburn Russell, O.N. F.839, of the Royal Naval Air Service, was wounded in gallantly going to Commander Unwin's assistance.
Petty Officer Mechanic Geoffrey Charlton Paine Rummings, O.N. F.813, Royal Naval Air Service, assisted Commander Unwin in rescuing wounded men.
Petty Officer, Second Class, Frederick Gibson, O.N. 191025, R.F.R. B.3829, H.M.S. "Albion," jumped overboard with a line and got his boat beached to complete bridge from "River Clyde" to shore. He then took wounded to "River Clyde" under heavy fire.
Ordinary Seaman Jesse Lovelock, H.M.S. "Albion," J.28798, assisted in getting pontoon in position; also helped wounded on beach and in boats to reach "River Clyde," displaying great gallantry and coolness under fire.
Able Seaman Lewis Jacobs, O.N. J.4081, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson." Took his boat into "V" beach unaided, after all the remainder of the crew and the troops were killed or wounded. When last seen Jacobs was standing up and endeavouring to pole the cutter to the shore. While thus employed he was killed. Herbert J. G. Morrin, Leading Seaman, 0.N. 236225, H.M.S. "Bacchante"
Alfred J. Chatwin, Chief Yeoman Signals, 0.N. 156109, H.M.S. "Cornwallis."
Albert Playford, Petty Officer, O.N. 202189, H.M.S. "Cornwallis."
Arthur Roake, Able Seaman, O.N. S.S. 1940 (R.F.R. B.8843), H.M.S. "Cornwallis."
Henry Thomas Morrison, Seaman, R.N.R., 'O.N. 1495D., H.M.S. "Albion."
Daniel Roach, Seaman, R.N.R., 1685D, H.M.S. "Albion."
David S. Kerr, Able Seaman, O.N. 239816, H.M.S. "Ribble."
Albert Balson, Petty Officer, O.N. 211943, "Prince of Wales."
William Morgan, Petty Officer, O.N. 1.93834, H.M.S. "Prince of Wales."
James Getson, Stoker, Petty Officer, O.N. 295438, H.M.S. "London",
Edward L. Barons, Able Seaman, O.N. J.7775, "London."
William Putman, Petty Officer, O.N. 236783, H.M.S. "Queen."
Robert Fletcher, Leading Seaman, O.N. 213297, H.M.S. "Queen."
Samuel Forsey, Able Seaman, S.S. 2359, (R.F.R. B.4597), H.M.S. "Albion."
Henry J. Anstead, Acting C.P.O. 179989, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Kenneth Muskett, Leading Seaman, J.1325, "Implacable."
Thomas P. Roche, Chief Petty Officer (Pensioner), O.N. 165533, H.M.S. "Prince-George."
John Maple, Leading Seaman, O.N. 171890, (R.F.R. Chat., B.2658), H.M.S. "Euryalus."
Henry Williams, Leading Seaman, O.N. 176765 (R.F.R. Chat., B.1326), H.M.S. "Euryalus."
William F. Hoffman, Able Seaman, O.N. .195940 (R.F.R. Chat., B.2650), H.M.S. "Euryalus."
Henry G. Law, Able Seaman, O.N. 195366, (R.F.R. Chat., B.8261), H.M.S. "Euryalus."
Henry Ridsdale, Stoker, R.N.R., O.N. 1136U, "Euryalus."
Colin McKechnie, Leading Seaman, O.N. 157509, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson" (killed).
Stanley E. Cullum, Leading Seaman, O.N. 225791, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson"
Frederick T. M. Hyde, Able Seaman, O.N. J.21153, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson" (killed).
William E. Rowland, Able Seaman, O.N. J.17029, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson" (wounded).
Albert E. Bex, Able Seaman, O.N. J.17223, 'H.M.S. "Lord Nelson" (wounded).
The above men from "Lord Nelson" were part of boats crews landing troops on "V" beach, a service from which few returned.

Commended for service in action:-

Harry E. Pallant, Petty Officer, O.N. 186521, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Jesse Bontoft, Petty Officer, O.N. 193398, H.M.S. "Implacable.
Thomas J. Twells, Leading Seaman, O.N. 232269, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Richard Mullis, Leading Seaman, O.N. 220072, H.M.S. "Implacable."
Matthew B. Knight, Leading Seaman, O.N. 230546, H.M.S. "Implacable."
John E. Mayes, Leading Seaman, O.N. 196849 (R.F.R. B.8581), H.M.S. "Implacable"
William J. White, P.O.I., O.N. 142848, H.M.S. "Albion."
Frederick G. Barnes, P.O., O.N. 209085, "Swiftsure."
Henry Minter, P.O., O.N. 163128, H.M.S. "Queen Elizabeth."
Harry R. Jeffcoate, Serjeant, R.M.L.I., Ch.10526, "Cornwallis."
Frank E. Trollope, Private, R.M.L.I., Ch. 19239, H.M.S. "Cornwallis."
George Brown, Chief P.O., 276085, H.M.S. "Sapphire."
Bertie Sole, Leading Seaman, 208019 (R.F.R. B.10738), H.M.S. "Sapphire."
Charles H. Soper, Signalman, J.9709, H.M.S. "Sapphire."
Frank Dawe, Able Seaman, 231502, H.M.S. "Albion."
Samuel Quick, Seaman, R.N.R., 3109 B, H.M.S. "Albion."
James Rice, Seaman, R.N.R., 519 D, H.M.S. "Albion."
William Thomas, Seaman, R.N.R., 2208 B, H.M.S. "Albion."
William H. Kitchen, Seaman, R.N.R., 4330 A, H.M.S. "Albion."
Francis A. Sanders, Able Seaman, 221315 (R.F.R. Chat., B.8199), H.M.S. "Euryalus."
William F. Hicks, Able Seaman, S.S. 4795, H.M.S. "Euryalus."
William F. Hayward, Able Seaman, 235109, H.M.S. "London."
George Gilbertson, Able Seaman, 207941 (R.F.R. 13.4910), H.M.S. "London."
Andrew Hope, Able Seaman, S.S. 2837 (R.F.R. B.5847), H.M.S. "London."
Charles A. Smith, Able Seaman, J.27753, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson " (wounded).
Basil Brazier, Able Seaman, J.6116, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson" (wounded).
Charles H. Smith, Able Seaman, J.28377, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson."
Henry A. B. Green, Able Seaman, 238024, H.M.S. "Lord Nelson" (wounded).

No officer could have been better served by his staff than I have been during these operations.

The energy and resource of my Chief of Staff, Commodore R. J. B. Keyes, was invaluable, and, in combination with Major-General Braithwaite - Chief of the General Staff - he established a most excellent working agreement between the two services.

Captain George P. W. Hope, of "Queen Elizabeth," acted as my flag captain. His gift of organisation was of the greatest assistance in dealing with the mass of details inseparable from an operation of such magnitude.

Commander the Hon. A. R. M. Ramsay has used his sound practical knowledge of gunnery to great advantage in working out, in con¬nection with the military, the details of gunfire from the covering ships.

Captain William W. Godfrey, R.M., a staff officer of great ability, has given me invaluable assistance throughout the operations.

I would also mention my secretary, Mr. Basil F. Hood, Acting Paymaster, and secretarial staff, whose good services under the direction and example of Mr. Edward W. Whittington-Ince, Assistant Paymaster, will form the subject of a later separate report. Also Lieutenant-Commander James F. Sommerville (Fleet Wireless Telegraph Officer), and Flag Lieutenants L. S. Ormsby-Johnson, Hugh S. Bowlby, and Richard H. L. Bevan, who have performed good service in organising with the military the intercommunication between the allied fleets and armies.

I have, &c.,
Vice-Admiral. The Secretary of the Admiralty.

16th August, 1915.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the grant of the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officers and men for the conspicuous acts of bravery mentioned in the foregoing despatch :-

Commander Edward Unwin, R.N.
Midshipman Wilfred St. Aubyn Malleson, R.N.
Midshipman George Leslie Drewry, R.N.R.
Able Seaman William Chas. Williams, O.N. 186774 (R.F.R. B.3766) (since killed).
Seaman R.N.R. George McKenzie Samson, O.N. 2408A.

The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointments to the Distinguished Service Order and for the award of the Distinguished Service Cross to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their services as mentioned in the foregoing despatch :-

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order.
Lieutenant-Commander Ralph Benest Janvrin, R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander Adrian St. Vincent Keyes, R.N.
Lieutenant John Anthony Vere Morse, R.N.
Surgeon Peter Burrows Kelly, R.N.

To receive the Distinguished Service Cross.
Lieutenant Masse Goolden, R.N.
Boatswain John Murphy, R.N.
Midshipman Rupert Edward Maximilian Bethune, R.N.
Midshipman Eric Oloff de Wet, R.N.
Midshipman Charles Wilfred Croxford, R.N.R.
Midshipman Cecil Aubrey Lawson Mansergh, R.N.
Midshipman Alfred Martyn Williams, R.N.
Midshipman Hubert Malcolm Wilson, R.N.
Midshipman George Francis Dudley Freer, R.N.
Midshipman Richard Victor Symonds-Taylor, R.N.
Midshipman Cecil Hugh Clinton Matthey, R.N.
Midshipman John Saville Metcalf, R.N.R.

The following awards have also been made :-

To receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.
Petty Officer Mechanic John Hepburn Russell, R.N. Air Service O.N. F.839.
Petty Officer Mechanic Geoffrey Charlton Paine Rumming, R.N. Air Service O.N. F.813.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Frederick Gibson,. O.N. 191025 (R.F.R. B.3829).
Ordinary Seaman Jesse Lovelock, 0.N.. J28798.

To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.
Chief Petty Officer Thomas P. Roche, O.N. 165533 (since promoted Acting Gunner).
Acting Chief Petty Officer Henry J. Anstead,.O.N. 179989.
Petty Officer Albert Balson, O.N. 211943.
Petty Officer, 1st Class, William Morgan, O.N. 193834.
Petty Officer Albert Playford, O.N. 202189.
Petty Officer William Putman, O.N. 236783.
Leading Seaman Robert Fletcher, O.N..213297.
Leading Seaman John Maple, O.N. 171890 (R.F.R. Chat., B.2658).
Leading Seaman Herbert J. G. Merrin, O.N. 236225.
Leading Seaman Kenneth S. Muskett, J.1325.
Leading Seaman Henry Williams, O.N. 176765 (R.F.R. Chat., B.1326).
Able Seaman Edward L. Barons, O.N. J.7775.
Able Seaman Albert E. Beg, O.N. J.17223.
Able Seaman Samuel Forsey, O.N. S.S. 2059) (R.F.R. B.4597).
Able Seaman William F. Hoffman, O.N.. 195940 (R.F.R. Chat., B.2650).
Able Seaman David S. Kerr, O.N. 239816.
Able Seaman Henry G. Law, O.N. 195366 (R.F.R. Chat., B.8261).
Able Seaman Arthur Roake, O.N. S.S. 1940 (R.F.R. B.8843).
Able Seaman William E. Rowland, O.K. J.17029.
Seaman R.N.R., Henry Thomas Morrison,. O.N. 1495D.
Chief Yeoman of Signals Alfred J. Chatwin,. O.N. 156109.
Seaman R.N.R., Daniel Roach, 1685D.
Stoker Petty Officer James Getson, O.N.. 295438.
Stoker R.N.R., Henry Ridsdale, O.N. 113611

16th August, 1915.

The following awards have been made in recognition of services during the operations in the vicinity of the Dardanelles prior to 25th-26th April:—
The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the grant of the Victoria Cross to Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander) Eric Gascoigne Robinson, R.N., for the conspicuous act of bravery specified below.

Lieutenant-Commander Robinson on the. 26th February advanced alone, under heavy-fire, into an enemy's gun position, which might well have been occupied, and destroying a four-inch gun, returned to his party for another charge with which the second gun was destroyed. Lieutenant-Commander Robinson would not allow members of his demolition party to accompany him, as their white uniforms rendered them very conspicuous. Lieutenant-Commander Robinson took part in four attacks on the mine fields - always under heavy fire.

The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointments to the Distinguished Service Order and for the award of the Distinguished Service Cross to the undermentioned Officers in recognition of their services as mentioned:-

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order.

Commander William Mellor, R.N.
Commander Mellor was in charge of the trawler mine-sweepers, and took part in all the mine-sweeping operations under fire prior to and including the 18th March; he displayed conspicuous gallantry, always being to the fore in a picket boat, in the most exposed positions, encouraging his sweepers and setting a fine example.
Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander) John Rickards Middleton, R.N.

Lieutenant-Commander Middleton on three occasions entered the minefields under heavy fire, where he organized and successfully carried out attacks - by means of explosive creeps - on the cables and jack stays.
Lieutenant Francis Hugh Sandford, R.N.

Lieutenant Sandford was specially recommended for his good work in connection with the attacks on the minefields, which he entered on several occasions, including night of 13th-14th March. He invariably displayed great determination when under fire. Lieutenant Sandford also rendered good service in the demolition of Fort Seddul Bahr.
Acting Lieutenant Bernard Thomas Cox.

Lieutenant Cox behaved in a most gallant manner when a volunteer in trawler No. 318 during the attack on the minefield on 13th-14th March. Though severely wounded he refused to quit his bridge until out of action. His vessel suffered serious damage and severe casualties.
Captain Christopher Powell Metcalfe, R.N.

On the 18th March, after H.M.S. "Irresistible" struck a mine, Captain Metcalfe took H.M.S. " Wear " alongside her, and rescued nearly the whole of her crew under a very heavy fire, which caused several casualties - a very fine display of seamanship.

Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander) the Hon. Patrick George Edward Cavendish Acheson, M.V.O., R.N.
Acting Sub-Lieutenant (now Sub-Lieutenant) Alfred Edward Boscawen Giles, R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander Acheson, with Acting Sub-Lieutenant Alfred E. B. Giles, Chief E. R. A. 2nd Class Robert Snowdon, O.N. 270654, and Stoker 1st Class Thomas Davidson, O. N. K.14753, went down into the fore magazine and shell room of H.M.S. "Inflexible" when the parties working in these places had been driven out by fumes, caused by the explosion of a mine under the ship; they closed valves and water-tight doors, lights being out, the shell room having two feet of water in it, rising quickly, and the magazine flooding slowly.
The fumes were beginning to take effect on Acting Sub-Lieutenant Giles, but neither he nor the others left until ordered to do so by Lieutenant-Commander Acheson, who was the last to leave the shell room.

Engineer-Commander Harry Lashmore, C.B., R.N.
Engineer-Lieutenant-Commander Arthur Ellis Lester, R.N.
Engineer Lieutenant Rey. Griffith Parry, R.N.
Surgeon Martyn Henry Langford, R.N.
During the time H.M.S. "Inflexible" was steaming to Tenedos - after having struck a mine - the engine-room being in semi-darkness and great heat, the ship in possible danger of sinking on passage, a high standard of discipline was called for in the Engineer Department, a call which was more than met. Engineer-Commander Harry Lashmore, responsible for the discipline of the engine-room department, was in the starboard engine-room throughout the passage, and set a fine example to his men.
Engineer-Lieutenant-Commander Lester was in the port engine-room carrying out the same duties as Engineer-Commander Lash-more did in the starboard engine-room.
Engineer-Lieutenant Parry went twice through the thick fumes to the refrigerator flat to see if the doors and valves were closed; he also closed the escape hatch from the submerged flat, fumes and vapour coming up the trunk at the time.
Surgeon Langford brought up the wounded from the fore distributing station in the dark. Fumes permeated the place, rendering five men unconscious. Surgeon Langford, though partially overcome by the fumes, continued his work.

Lieutenant Claud Herbert Godwin, R.N.
Lieutenant Godwin commanded H.M.S. "Majestic's" picket boat, and was responsible for the successful shot by which the submarine E. 15 was destroyed after running aground.

To receive the Distinguished Service Cross.

Sub-Lieutenant (now Acting Lieutenant) Stephen Augustus Bayford, R.N.R., H.M.S. "Majestic."
Midshipman James Charles Woolmer Price. H.M.S. "Ocean."
These officers were both in command of picket boats on night of 13th-14th March.
When "Ocean's" boat lay helpless, having been struck in the boiler-room by a shell, "Majestic's" took her in tow, under heavy fire, the conduct of these two young officers being altogether admirable, as was their handling of their boats.

Gunner (T) John William Alexander Chubb, R.N.
Mr. Chubb, when a volunteer in trawler No. 488, on the night of 13th-14th March, brought his vessel out of action in a sinking condition, his commanding officer and three of the small crew being killed.

Gunner (T) William Walter Thornwood, R.N.
Mr. Thornwood was in command of an armed whaler which, on night of 4th-5th March, twice went into the shore between Kum Kale and Yeni Shehr, bringing off two officers and five men, two of them wounded, exposed to rifle fire on both occasions.

Midshipman Hugh Dixon, R.N.
Midshipman Dixon was in command of "Queen Elizabeth's" picket boat, and was responsible for saving several officers and men from "Irresistible" while under heavy fire, on the 18th March.

Acting Sub-Lieutenant (now Sub-Lieutenant) George Tothill Philip, R.N.
Acting. Sub-Lieutenant Philip, H.M.S. "Inflexible," was in charge of his picket-boat on the 18th March to deal with floating mines.
The picket-boat was struck by a heavy shell. Acting Sub-Lieutenant Philip got her alongside "Inflexible," ordered his crew inboard, and, though his knee was injured, got into the engine-room, shut off steam and closed scuttle to stokehold before leaving his boat.

Lieutenant Arthur Cyril Brooke-Webb, R.N.R.
Midshipman John Blaxland Woolley, R.N.
These officers took part in the picket-boat attack on the 18th April.

Lieutenant Colin George MacArthur, R.N.
Lieutenant MacArthur (commanding submarine B 6) carried out two most enterprising reconnaissances of E lo, both under fire. During the latter reconnaissance his skilful handling saved his ship.

The following Officers are Commended for service in Action:—
Between 19th February and 24th April.
Captain Charles Penrose Rushton Coode, R.N.
Captain Richard Fortescue Phillimore, C.B., M.V.O., A.D.C., R.N.
Commander Osmond James Prentis, R.N. (since killed).
Commander Claude Seymour, R.N.
Commander (now Captain) George James Todd, R.N.
Commander (now Captain) Ernest Wigram, R.N.
Acting Commander Michael Barne, R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander Charles Gordon Brodie, R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander)
Andrew Browne Cunningham, R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander (now Commander) Hugh Tumour England, R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander George Francis
Arthur Mulock, R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander George Bryan Palmes, D.S.O., R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander Richard St. John,R.N.
Lieutenant-Commander James Cantrell Johnstone Soutter, R.N.
Lieutenant John Foster Barham Carslake, R.N.
Lieutenant Charles Eric Seaburne Farrant, R.N.
Lieutenant Harold Richard George Kinahan, R.N.
Lieutenant Ernald Lushington Morant, R.N.
Lieutenant Robert Don Oliver, R.N.
Acting Lieutenant Robert Don Oliver, R.N.
Flight-Lieutenant (now Flight-Commander) Geoffrey Rhodes Bromet.
Flight-Lieutenant (now Flight-Commander) Ronald Hargrave Kershaw.
Sub-Lieutenant (now Lieutenant) Charles Vin¬cent Jack, R.N.
Sub-Lieutenant Humphrey Robert Sandwith, R.N.
Sub-Lieutenant William Bagot Walker, R.N.
Mate Thomas Edward Lane, R.N.
Acting Mate John Taylor, R.N.
Midshipman Sir John Stuart Page Wood, Bt.,. R.N.
Midshipman John Blaxland Woolley, R.N.
Fleet Surgeon Edward Henry Meaden, R.N.
Surgeon John Harding Baynes Martin, R.N.
Major Arthur Edward Bewes,
Major (now Brevet Lieutenant-Colonel) Granville Mackay Heriot, D.S.O.,
Gunner George William Charles Goss, R.N.
Gunner (T) Francis Jeremiah Thomas, R.N.
Acting Gunner Charles Frederick Paul, R.N.
Acting Boatswain Robert George Young, R.N.
Acting Boatswain William Henry Young, R.N.
Acting Boatswain Francis John Buckingham, R.N.
Lieutenant Stephen Percy Elliott, R.N.R.
Lieutenant John Henry Pitts, R.N.R.
Acting Lieutenant Angus George Brown, R.N.R.
Skipper William Henry Collins, R.N.R.
Skipper Albert Edward Olley, R.N.R.

The Vice-Admiral commanding the Eastern Mediterranean Squadron also notices specially the good work done by the following Officers :— Commander (now Acting Captain) Percy Pitts, R.N.
Lieutenant - Commander (now Commander) John Beauchamp Waterlow, R.N.
Engineer Commander William Anderson Wilson, R.N.

The following awards have also been made:-

To receive the Conspicuous Gallantry Medal.

For services when H.M. S. "Inflexible" was damaged by a mine on 18th March:-
Chief Engine Room Artificer, 2nd Class, Robert Snowdon, O.N. 270654.
Stoker, 1st Class, Thomas Davidson, D.S.M., O.N. K14753.
Able Seaman Walter Samuel Smedley, O.N. J .13729 .
Engine Room Artificer, 2nd Class, Joseph J. Fielding Runalls, O.N. 272059.
Chief Sick Berth Steward Henry A. Hamlin, O.N. 150438. The services of Snowdon and Davidson are mentioned above.
Able Seaman Smedley. Though wounded himself carried a wounded Petty Officer down from the fore top after it had been struck by a shell; he subsequently went aloft twice more, and started for a third attempt.
Engine Room Artificer Runalls. Escaped up the trunk from the fore air compressor room with difficulty, helped up his stoker and closed the W.T. door of the trunk before he fell insensible.
Chief Sick Berth Steward Hamlin, though partially overcome by fumes, assisted Surgeon Langford while the "Inflexible" was proceeding to Tenedos.

To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.
For services on the night of 4th-5th March, as crew of armed whaler H.M.S. "Scorpion":-
Petty Officer Samuel G. Newell, O.N. 224817.
Leading Seaman Charles Balls, O.N. 228520:
Able Seaman George A. Shaw, O.N. 219819.
Able Seaman Albert E. Holbrook, O.N.
Able Seaman George Ong, O.N. J.2888.
Able Seaman Henry John Floyd, O.N. J.8819.
Able Seaman Leonard Pettis, O.N. 234659.
Signalman Michael T. Hughes, O.N. 230108.

For services as volunteers in H.M. Trawlers on night of 13th-14th March:-
Petty Officer, 1st Class, Andrew B. Rennie, O.N. 138878 (R.F.R. :A.2994).
Petty Officer, 1st Class, William F. Clode, Pensioner, 125800 (R.F.R. A.3308).
Petty Officer Charles Hochen, O.N. 148252 (R.F.R. A.3963).
Petty Officer Montague H. Botley, O.N. 209682.
Petty Officer Ernest F. Marsh, O.N. 195116.
Petty Officer, 1st Class, Alfred C. Beacham, O.N. 151064.
Signalman Ernest W. Sendall, O.N. 236137 (R.F.R. B.5081).
Signalman Alfred Edward Herbert, R.N.V.R., O.N. Bristol 3/922.
Signalman Walter Dawson, O.N. J.8746.
Signalman R. T. Hyslop, O.N. J.15800.
Signalman Alfred Edwards, O.N. J.8632.
Signalman Alfred E. Coles, O.N. J.8664.
Signalman Charles W. Jeffery, O.N. 197627 (R.F.R. B.4140).

For services on board H.M.S. "Amethyst" on the night of 13th-14th March:-
Petty Officer 2nd Class George T. Lumb, O.N. 159139.
Chief Stoker Robert G. Verey, O.N. 284974.
For services during the attack on minefields under fire:-
Chief Petty Officer William Harbon, 0.N. 120947 (Pensioner).
Chief Petty Officer Thomas Scamaton, .0.N. 130358 (R.F.R. A.2565).
Chief Petty Officer W. H. Minards, O.N. 136554 (R.F.R. A.2250).
Petty Officer William Snow, O.N. 97167 (Pensioner).
Second Hand, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), Charles M. Chisholm, 524, D.A.
Second Hand, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), Joseph Booz Burgon, O.N. 739, S.A.
Second Hand, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), Arthur Fenwick George, O.N. 63, S.A.
Second Hand, (Trawler Section), Thomas William Reynolds, O.N. 8, S.A.
Deckhand, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), John Thomas Brown, O.N. 95, D.A.
Leading Signalman Richard May, R.N.V.R., O.N. Mersey, 6/71.
Signalman J. J. Gavan, O.N. J.19901.
Engineman, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), John Keiller Anderson, O.N. 129, E.S.
Engineman, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), Francis Brown Bridge Robinson, O.N. 813, E.S.
Engineman, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), Wm. Richard Kemp, O.N. 846, E.S.
Engineman, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), Wm. Mathers, O.N. 135, E.S.
Engineman, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), Benjamin Germany, O.N. 1134, E.S.
Engineman, R.N.R. (Trawler Section), James Cheyne, O.N. 17, E.S.

For services on 18th March :-
Petty Officer 1st Class Thomas W. Kemp, O.N. 171663.
Petty Officer, 1st Class, Frederick Nash, O.N. 181003.
Signalman Isaac Overton, O.N. 225837.
Able Seaman Charles R. Hooper, O.N. J. 5912.

For services in picket boats of H.M.S. "Majestic " and " Triumph " 18th April :-
H.M.S. "Triumph."
Petty Officer William Bradbury, O.N. 199926.
Able Seaman Leonard E. Beresford, O.N. J.20546.
Leading Seaman Daniel McCarthy, O.N. J.1868.
Petty Officer Joseph J. Martin, O.N. 214321.
Able Seaman John G. Morley, O.N. 219291.
Able Seaman Jack Robinson, O.N. 223124.
Able Seaman John Symons, O.N. 218505.
Leading Stoker Frederick C. Fisher, O.N. 310629.
Stoker, 1st Class, Valliant Mackenzie, O.N. S.S. 112172.
Stoker, 1st Class, Matthew Rowel, O.N. K.12718

H.M.S. " Majestic."
Leading Seaman James McEligott, O.N. 148265.
Able Seaman David Collins, O.N. 212148 (R.F.R. B.5415).
Able Seaman Robert Cocks, O.N. S.S. 1501 (R.F.R. B.3835).
Able Seaman William Longworth, O.N. 205543 (R.F.R. B.5103).
Able Seaman Arthur Maddy, O.N. 201782.
Seaman, R.N.R., Frederick Armstrong. O.N. 5139A.
Ordinary Signalman Edward A. W. Hill, O.N. 3.28122.
Engine Room Artificer, R.N.R., Bothwell Randal Patterson, O.N. 1614, E.A.
Stoker Petty Officer Robert J. Foster, O.N. 153254 (R.F.R. A.3430).
Stoker Percy J. Edwards, O.N. 307004.
For services in Submarine B.6:-
Petty Officer E. W. Heasman, O.N. 233663.
Leading Seaman A. W. Roe, O.N. 238262.

The following Petty Officers and Men are Commended for service in Action between 19th February and 24th April:-
Petty Officer, 1st Class, Harry Ives, O.N. 185920 (since killed).
Petty Officer Henry Minter, O.N. 163128.
Petty Officer, 1st Class, Edwin Breen, O.N. 184172.
Petty Officer William Saffhill, O.N. 219209.
Petty Officer Ernest R. F. Castle, O.N. 179279.
Petty Officer Frederick G. Barnes, O.N. 209085.
Petty Officer, 1st Class (Pensioner), Henry G.
Dumsday, O.N. 125998 (R.F.R. A.1784).
Petty Officer Alfred P. Marchant, O.N. 232250.
Petty Officer Frederick R. Porter, O.N. 171745.
Petty Officer Robert Dempsey, O.N. 190898.
Leading Seaman Benjamin Randall, O.N. 220183.
Leading Boatman (C.G.) Thomas H. Lindupp, O.N. 170491.
Leading Signalman Thomas 0. Pyne, O.N. 225593.
Able Seaman Francis H. Verge, O.N. J.10816.
Able Seaman Walter T. Birtwhistle, O.N. J.5180.
Able Seaman Alfred Gibson, O.N. J.10284.
Able Seaman Frank Lewis, O.N. J.19463.
Able Seaman Alfred T. Smith, O.N. J.5158.
Able Seaman George Benton, O.N. J.10765.
Able Seaman Harry Saunders; O.N. J.3745.
Able Seaman George Hannah, O.N. 164612.
Able Seaman Robert K. Perrie,O.N. J.19094..
Able Seaman Thomas Lane, O.N.. 195028.
Acting E. R. A. 4th Class William Scrimgour, O.N. M.1504.
Stoker Petty Officer Robert J. Ellen, O.N. 293785.
Stoker Petty Officer John W. Payne, O.N. K. 1052.
Stoker Petty Officer William G. Luckhurst,. O.N. 304438.
Stoker Petty Officer William T. Collins, O.N. 308278.
Stoker Petty Officer John E. D. Williams,. O.N. 154530 (R.F.R. A.3601).
Stoker Petty Officer Arthur Whittington, O.N. 288477.
Stoker Petty Officer William H. Moody, O.N. 308628.
Stoker, 1st Class, Fred M. Bond, O.N. 311570.
Stoker, 1st Class, Alfred Barrett, O.N. S.S. 100096 (R.F.R. B.2347).
Stoker, 1st Class, Albert E. Barter, O.N. 278767.
Chief Shipwright Arthur Woolley, O.N. 346887.
Armourer Thomas Hooper, O.N. 156567 (since died of wounds).
Second Sick Berth Steward William H. Young, O.N. M.1232.

IWM Partnership Programme logoWorld War 1 Pages