Royal Events - a view from our Parish
The most complete record of local celebrations have been collected in a PDF booklet for free download. Our research was inspired by the Diamond Jubilee celebrations of 6th June 2012.
The sub-group added some research, to help the reader understand what the conditions were like in our Parish at the time of each of our 'royal celebrations'.
The web version will be updated from time to time as new items are discovered.
- The Chequered History of the Jubilee Pump on Greenstreet Hill (1897 to 1898) - PDF
- Coronation Day, Wednesday, 12th May, 1937 at "Newlands" - organisation and fund raising
- Coronation Handmade Order of Service, 2nd June 1953 (from Rev Gordon Sherwood's effects) - PDF
- Lynsted Royal Fete Programme (2002) - PDF
- Lynsted with Kingsdown Society 2022 Royal Jubilee Commemorative display - 3rd June 2022
- Where our references are historical, we have retained the older Imperial measures and currency styles. So, 2l.2s.2d. reads as 2 pounds, 2 shillings, 2 pennies. Areas of land before 1965 can be expressed as 2a.2p.2r. (acres, perches, rods).
- The book also contains an introduction to the social context in which these events took place.
- For local family historians, we have inserted end-notes that include the names of many of those who organised events for 1935/7 (found in Parish Council documents).
- For the Platinum Jubilee, residents of Lynsted village, Cellar Hill and Greenstreet celebrated with a programme of events across the public holiday (2nd June to 5th June 2022). Teynham Parish also put together their own celebrations. In and around Lynsted Village, a dedicated group put together events for all four days of the public holiday.
The Society Committee wishes to acknowledge the generous contribution of photographs and other material used in this project, the transcribers, the author for bringing it all together, the proof-readers, alongside the countless more who have helped us identify people in the photographs used in the publication. This has been very much a collaborative effort.
In alphabetical order:
|David Bage (In Memoriam, for the many Parish Newsletters he kept!)||Marlene King|
|Pip Baron||Alec & Pam Lewis|
|Kevin Barrett||Lynsted Church|
|Jennifer Bones||Lynsted with Kingsdown Parish Council|
|The Church of England (on-line resources)||The National Newspaper Archive|
|Barbara Coulter||Emlyn Morgan & Linda Morgan|
|Elaine Egalton||Norton & Lynsted Primary School|
|Tom English||Lillian Ongley & Ellen Olney|
|Mary Fielding||Park Farm Community Orchard Group|
|Joyce Gates||Residents of Cellar Hill|
|Maggie Goodwin||Residents of Ludgate Lane|
|Greenstreet Methodist Church||Ann Sefton|
|John & Sheila Hepburn||Stella Sherwood|
|Nigel & Lis Heriz-Smith||Stepping Stones Pre-School|
|Barbara Hodges||Clare Stewart|
|Fiona Jones||Teynham Parish Council|
Add to this list all the makers of cakes and refreshments at our various Society events in support of this Project and the many unsung heroes of the public celebrations in the Parish - they know who they are and we thank them all for their generosity.